Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deusvolt

Scammers infliltrated my connection

My Roku which has been doing fine for  year suddenly could not connect to my internet wifi. I reconfigured re-entered my modem password again but still no go. Then I got a message to go to a certain website for "help." I thought it was a Roku service. It is not. It is another independent outfit altogether asking for a fee to help me reconnect. I didn't bite though. I shut down my computers. Shut down my voltage regulator thus shutting down the modem too. Prepared a cup of coffee. Ate some cheese and relaxed. After about 30 minutes, I turned on my whole system and Voila! I got my Roku on internet wifi again. But then my stereo sound system got shocked with the shutdown and won't function. I forgot to turn it off. I think the shock caused it to spit out its power connection which I found somewhat loose. I pulled it out wiped it down, brushed the female plug and reconnected. It's all right now. To moderators: I am not posting any question. I am narrating my experience only. And I think it is a useful warning to other Roku owners.

3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Scammers infliltrated my connection

@Deusvolt wrote:

Then I got a message to go to a certain website for "help."

How did you receive this message?  Did you try to find an address for Roku support in a web search?  There are a number of bogus sites claiming to be Roku and I suspect that you found one of them.  Roku support often isn't all that great, but they NEVER charge anything for it.

And to @Michelle3 - I know you are trying to be helpful, but this has nothing to do with these support forums censoring certain words and replacing them with **bleep**.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
PatSummers1
Channel Surfer

I tried to add an app to my TV the other day, Plex to be exact it told me to go to a certain place and put in the code like we all do and then I got a message on the screen to call a certain number to finish this setup sounded kind of strange but you know things go kind of strange the cyber world I called it and this guy told me to get some software which I did I should have taken closer look at it and then he put two $100 charges on my Verizon account and put $1,000 in my Bitcoin account and gave me his Bitcoin number telling me it was very important that I hang on to it I would need it later I shut everything down and I've got bit defender going and a VPN and I did send him some coin I sent him a $1.50 with a nice expletive e. Let him find me in the blockchain god I was pissed Verizon said they would take the charges off I haven't looked yet and the money hadn't settled so he couldn't get it out of my Voyager account but I was able to put it into cash and not coin and then Voyager went belly up the next week so I'm sure the poor guy was frustrated I did the same thing to a guy who got on my email and threatened to show all the sites I visited on Facebook and I just responded to him I told him I hate Facebook I don't care what you put on there I'm 72 years old I don't give a **bleep** anymore but he told me he was going to do that if I didn't send him Bitcoin and I sent him $1 with the same expletive. I want to get them in a little room with a taser and a pissed off wolverine and the only way to get out of that room is to pass a small door and the wolverine is tied to it. I hate those people I wait and hope and pray that they call and tell me that they've been watching my computer and they're from Microsoft cuz I keep them on for about an hour and then I tell him a few things in kick back and listen to the noise. Bit defenders good by the way I'm going to put it on the new computer I got probably spend for the whole VPN they usually only give you 200 megs anyway I thought I would vent about that since I saw you got caught up in it they'll try to get you you just got to watch out for him if it seems strange and too nice it probably is. Thank you very much for reading this I get on these rambles because I have adult ADD I really do and I go on and on sometimes so I apologize for that but thank you again for reading it and putting up with me

Bob I had to edit this for spelling BTW.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@PatSummers1 wrote:

I tried to add an app to my TV the other day, Plex to be exact it told me to go to a certain place and put in the code like we all do and then I got a message on the screen to call a certain number to finish this setup

Dollars to donuts you entered a typo when "going to a certain place".   Scammers take out bogus websites with names that are frequent misspellings of legitimate sites in order to catch unwary visitors.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X