Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrLA
Channel Surfer

ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

I've had my Roku Streaming Stick for a year and a half and I've never had a problem connecting to WI-FI or internet. Suddenly, it tells me I am not connected to Internet.  I've done everything I was instructed to do but it still won't connect. 

I called my Internet provider and nothing has change on their end. The TV, router, and Roku Stick are in the same place. Any ideas at all? Thank you!

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Kmill78
Reel Rookie

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

I am not sure if the roku stick works like the Express but i was able to get my roku Express to connect back to the wifi again by doing a factory reset.

Press the 

Home x5

Fast forward x3

Rewind x2

Should take you to s screen where you can choose factory reset. Hopefully this works for you🤞

Additional resources that you might find helpful from the Roku Support site:

View solution in original post

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Factory reset is a last resort because you'll have to start all over from scratch to set it up again, as though it had just come out of the box.

This has worked for me to fix wifi problems - try it before resorting to a factory reset.

• Restart your router (yeah, I know everything else connects okay, try it anyway).
  • When router comes back up, restart your Roku, Settings > System > Restart system
    (or for a Roku TV, it's Settings > System > Power > Restart system).
  • When Roku comes back up, Settings > Network > Set up connection.

Let us know how you make out.

[Edited to add...]

There are a couple of network connection problems being reported since my original post that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T reported so far), but it's possible they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
    Some routers have had their 2.4 GHz wifi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single band wifi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models) as well as many other single band devices can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

Adie1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I can only repeat what worked for me, which was changing the wi-fi channel. I'd been having intermittent Roku problems for ages, then changed the channel on another user's advice, and it's been fine ever since. (It's an easy fix to Google if you're a dunce like me!) Good luck!

Tamalesyatole
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

• Restart your router (yeah, I know everything else connects okay, try it anyway).
  • When router comes back up, restart your Roku, Settings > System > Restart system
  • When Roku comes back up, Settings > Network > Set up connection

WTF it worked for me!?!1! Didn't even had to re-setup the connection.

TV remembered previous SSID (Changed router recently so I forgot whether I had connected this TV to it) and Android Mirroring also worked, so a busted WiFi couldn't be the reason, I thought.

Everything else worked with the WiFi so I thought it wasn't either.

332 REPLIES 332
Kmill78
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am not sure if the roku stick works like the Express but i was able to get my roku Express to connect back to the wifi again by doing a factory reset.

Press the 

Home x5

Fast forward x3

Rewind x2

Should take you to s screen where you can choose factory reset. Hopefully this works for you🤞

Additional resources that you might find helpful from the Roku Support site:

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Factory reset is a last resort because you'll have to start all over from scratch to set it up again, as though it had just come out of the box.

This has worked for me to fix wifi problems - try it before resorting to a factory reset.

(or for a Roku TV, it's Settings > System > Power > Restart system).
  • When Roku comes back up, Settings > Network > Set up connection.

Let us know how you make out.

[Edited to add...]

There are a couple of network connection problems being reported since my original post that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers (Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, and AT&T reported so far), but it's possible they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK BUT CANNOT CONNECT
    Some router updates have changed the router's connection settings from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n.

• ROKU CANNOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
    Some routers have had their 2.4 GHz wifi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single band wifi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models) as well as many other single band devices can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but you have no access to its settings, you may need to request your internet provider to make the changes for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
BrLA
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your suggestion.  Although I tried that once, I decided to do so again. This time it worked.  Don't know why it didn't the first time but I'm glad it did this time.  Without your encouragement to do so, I might not have tired again.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
BrLA
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your suggestion.  I had already tried that and it didn't work.  However, just prior to your suggestion and comment, another person suggested the same thing so I decided to try it again. This time it worked.  I appreciate your trying to help me.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
BrLA
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you but I'm afraid this did not work for me.  I appreciate your trying to help!

BrLA
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your suggestion.  I had restarted my router prior to my question but it didn't work.  However, with your suggestion, I decided to do so again.  It worked this time and I am quite pleased. Without your prompting me, I might not have tried it again.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
katstan777

Jump to solution

Thank you. This worked for me. I was having the same problem, restarted tv, router and modem several times. All other devices on network were connected, just not the tv. I think your step #2 of restarting the Roku system, which I wasn’t doing, did the trick!!! Thanks again 🙂

Jump to solution

It will not connect to Wi-Fi

Jump to solution

Not Connected to the internet reset numerous times internet is working find on other devices there definitely something wrong with the unit you can reach me at rless@roadrunner.com or 716 860 3688