Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Dorm/Hotel wifi

@cjmarley

Thanks for the follow up and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
TRios1010
Level 7

Dorm/Hotel Connect Issues

We just bought an onn Roku TV for our camper. When trying to connect the TV to the RV park WiFi spot, i cannot get it to work.

The TV does not broadcast the DIRECT-roku-#### to my available networks on my iPhone. I’ve tried from two different iPhones AND my iPad, with no success. This TV was a total waste if I cannot connect it to public WiFi… This may be the last Roku device I ever buy, if this isn’t resolved.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Dorm/Hotel Connect Issues

Did you get the "Are you at home or dorm/hotel" prompt?  Has the initial setup already been completed on this TV?  You can't use the dorm/hotel connect feature until the initial setup is completed on some other network.  You can use your phone's hotspot as that network just to get through the initial setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TRios1010
Level 7

@renojim wrote:

Did you get the "Are you at home or dorm/hotel" prompt?  Has the initial setup already been completed on this TV?  You can't use the dorm/hotel connect feature until the initial setup is completed on some other network.  You can use your phone's hotspot as that network just to get through the initial setup.

Yes, got the initial setup done on my hotspot. Then tried to switch to Park WiFi. Got to the prompt for “are you home or dorm” clicked dorm - read instructions. Pulled up my available networks on the iPhone and the Direect-Roku-### never shows up at all. Cannot connect to the TV via phone, in order to complete the setup process. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Do your other devices show both 2.4 and 5GHz networks?  I'm kind of grasping at straws here.  I've seen other similar posts, but I don't recall seeing the solution.

0 Kudos
eluke323
Level 7

Reset Hotel/Dorm Mode On Roku TV

I am in an RV at a campground that offers wifi. It’s the kind that has you go to a webpage and you have to chose if you want free internet or to pay for better service and then log in. On my roku tv I went through the steps and was prompted the hotel/dorm option and it let me log in. I chose the free internet just to see it. Quickly realized it was not enough to stream from so now I want to log out and log back in through the hotel/dorm connect option BUT I can not figure out how to get my tv to “forget” that I’ve already logged in. I’ve tried to switch to my phone hotspot. I’ve tried disabling and enabling Device Connect. I’ve tried forgetting network settings and restarting the tv numerous times. Is there any solution to do this?

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: Reset Hotel/Dorm Mode On Roku TV

I'm surprised "Network connection reset" didn't work.  I don't usually recommend a factory reset, but you may have to give it a try.

0 Kudos
eluke323
Level 7

Re: Reset Hotel/Dorm Mode On Roku TV

So I tried for a while tonight. Continually redoing “network connection reset” and restarting over and over. Reconnecting and disconnecting from the internet. Finally just did the factory reset and unfortunately it did not work. Just immediately recognized the campground internet without giving me the hotel/dorm option. So that’s a real bummer. I’m shocked Roku does not have a user friendly option for this. From doing research this seems like it’s been a discussion for many years that has never had an actual resolution. Thanks for the help though! I was hopeful about the factory reset. 

0 Kudos