Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

[SOLVED] Multiple channels keeps returning after few minutes of streaming

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

UPDATE:

We believe that the issue is now resolved.

We recommend restarting your Roku player, by going to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart to resolve the issue.

Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing Roku.

-------------------------

We are receiving reports from users who repeatedly return to their home screen after spending a few minutes watching content on several channels.

This issue is currently Under Investigation. 

Please provide the necessary information below so that we may forward further facts for the investigation to our engineering team. I will promptly notify the Community as further information becomes available.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Which streaming channels are you experiencing this issue on?
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, quickly press Home 5 times and Back 5 times.)
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
  • If you see something different, can you please let us know?

Please be aware that we are actively monitoring and investigating the discussions on this thread. Thanks again for your continued patience.

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple channels keeps returning after few minutes of streaming

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We believe this issue has been resolved for most users, if not all of them, thus in the interest of maintaining order, we will close this discussion now.

We recommend restarting your Roku player, by going to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart to resolve the issue.

If you are still experiencing this issue, go ahead and start a new thread, and shoot me a PM.

This discussion will be closed and this post will be marked as solved. We appreciate your patience, and we also thank everyone who reported this.

Happy Streaming! 💜

Roku Community Team

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64
JJCDAD
Channel Surfer

All Apps Crash After A Few Minutes

Jump to solution

All Apps crash back to home screen after watching a video for 3 minutes. YouTube, Paramount Plus, Plex, and Max all have this issue. If I select any of these apps and select any video to watch, it will play for approx 3 minutes then crash back to the Roku home screen. I have done software update and restarted the box.

Here is the info:

Model: 4800x

Software Version: 12.5.5 * BUILD 4174-C2

GC Version: 10.6.34

Issue ID: RV-043-081

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: All Apps Crash After A Few Minutes

Jump to solution

Hi @JJCDAD,

Greetings from the Roku Community!
We understand you're having a problem with the Roku Ultra since all the channels will revert back to the home screen after launching it. We're happy to assist you further. Please check out this support article here on how to resolve a channel playback issue.

Let us know how it works, and we will continue to assist you further.
Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dininonymous
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

My Roku streaming stick just started experiencing this identical problem! Multiple apps, all crash back to the Roku home screen within about 3 minutes of streaming. Everything is updated - the software and the apps themselves. This must be some kind of glitch that's not limited to random people. Mine is model 3810X.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Dininonymous-

[Note: This reply does not apply to Ultra models that use their own dedicated power supplies, not USB adapters.]

If you are powering your Roku by plugging into the USB port on the TV, try powering from house power via the USB power adapter that came with the Roku*.

The ports on many televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably. It may appear to start up okay, but when it runs into something that requires more power than the tv's USB port can provide, something's got to give. Frequently this results in shutting down the stream you are viewing and exiting back to the Roku home screen. Or it may cause your Roku to overheat.

If this is a new problem, possibly an update to either the Roku operating software or to some channel app software is using a little more power than in the past. If you were just barely scraping by before, this might push you over the edge.

*If your Roku didn't come with a USB adapter, or if you don't have a Roku adapter handy, any other USB power adapter you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
JerKoz
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same problem here on multiple Roku players. It’s not a power issue as I have moved the cable from the USB port on the TV to dedicated power adaptor. Problem started yesterday afternoon.

Roku Express 3930x

Software v 12.5.5 build 4174-AE

JJCDAD
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I also have a model 4670x with the same software version and it does not have this issue. 

0 Kudos
Sf211
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This same issue happened to me just yesterday.  I have the Roku Stream Stick and it's currently powered via USB to TV.  I've also tried wall power and it has overheated the Roku Stick.

I did get the HDMI adapter from Roku and have unplugged it from the TV.  Will try to plug back in later today with the adapter and do a factory reset for I heard factory reset may solve this issue too.

6E616D65
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@JJCDAD I have three 4670X Ultras with the same software and they all currently exhibit the same symptoms the OP describes.

0 Kudos
JJCDAD
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Weird. I am the OP. My 4800x has the issue, but my 4670x does not.

0 Kudos