Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zb
Reel Rookie

upgrading to newer roku device because old one no longer supports amazon prime

I have an old analog tv without USB ports and cannot connect the newer roku devices.  I'd like to buy the one amazon is offering a discount on but I won't be able to connect it.  Any solution?  

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: upgrading to newer roku device because old one no longer supports amazon prime

First, it's HDMI inputs you need, not USB.  They're about the same size, but very different.  Having said that, you'll need an HDMI to RCA converter to connect to your TV and results vary.

Something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Adapter-Composite-Supports-Chromecast/dp/B07KF9JXFN/
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Composite-Adapter-Supports-Blu-Ray/dp/B0814Z34XG/

There are plenty of other ones out there.  Make sure it goes from HDMI to RCA.  Some go the other way around and some go either way.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: upgrading to newer roku device because old one no longer supports amazon prime

@zb wrote:

I have an old analog tv without USB ports and cannot connect the newer roku devices.  I'd like to buy the one amazon is offering a discount on but I won't be able to connect it.  Any solution?  

I don't know how big the analog TV is but you may spend nearly as much on the Roku device and equipment to convert from HDMI to composite as a new Roku TV.

MilesT
Roku Guru

A new(er) TV with HDMI will produce a better picture with modern devices (Streamers, DVD, bluray, computers, screen mirroring sticks etc). Unless your eyesight is poor you will notice the difference.

Or stick with a Roku 3 which did get the 10.0 software update but will be slow.H

HDMI to Rca analog adapters are very hit and miss.  This is deliberate because of copy protection protocols that are part of HDMI standards, the device wants to "sense" it is connected to a compliant TV device.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
zb
Reel Rookie

Thank you very much for your comprhensive reply!  I wish I'd checked for it in time to buy the updated Roku with the Prime discount but this is still very helpful.  I have so much to learn.  Thanks - ZB

0 Kudos