Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steveslagoon
Channel Surfer

Re: search has changed when i try to search

Jump to solution

this is totally ridiculous.  I want old format for search results ... script only!!!!!!  Not thumbnails of individual shows.  One of the most annoying things that has ever happened to me in my computer career.  WHAT THE **bleep**??????  

steveslagoon
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have never heard of a more ridiculous customer service response than this one where you advise you are not able to replicate the issue.  IMBECILES!! WTF????????

se28
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

what did you do to get it to revert back to list format ? any ideas would be appreciated 

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

My Roku Ultra 4660 was just blessed with this change in Search function for about 15 minutes. (thumbnails instead of lists).

Has there been one positive review of this "test change" in the preceeding postings that indicated this was a desired feature or should be released to more devices for more testing?

It is horrible, and should be abandoned. (especially the horizontal scrolling required).  No wonder no one knows how to read anymore.  They just look at and point to pictures to tell people what they want.  Eventually, we will devolve back to grunting and pointing like our ancestors.

Fortunately, this seemed to be a quirk and a few searches later my lists returned. (for now).

---

Edit: Spoke too soon.  Returned to this new format a few min later.  If I can find a workaround, will share it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

se28
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Getting help was quite difficult - Chat didnt know the answer to problem , and didnt seem to have the resources of desire to resolve , after about 3 days of nonsense ( unplug , leave off for 24hrs , reboot your modem and router etc ) i finally got a tech support person on the phone ( which was also a challenge ) this tech support person ( nice guy ) named "Shaboom" really tried to understand ( basically what this community chat explains perfectly as the issue ) he gather info promised to call me back and he actually did - i was pretty happy about that.

Now the solution he gave me was to do a "Factory Reset" - which was really the only thing he could dig up on this - It worked ! but only for about 12hours - this is NOT the solution.

i can tell you that have a # of Roku Premiere units and the only 2 that i am having problems with are the ones that i did "Software Update" on - this seems to be the root cause - my suggestion is DONT DO THE SOFTWARE UPDATE - until they resolve this issue 

This should be an easy fix - they should have an option for "List View" or "Tile View" - we all of course will choose "List View" and then this chats doesn't have to happen.

If anybody has had any other resolution to this issue - Please share ! 

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@se28 

I am thinking as users that the best we can hope for in the end when this is released/developed fully is that we have the option for List or Tile view like the Roku Media Player.  Should be easy enough since it is already employed there and would at least give the Roku platform some consistency. (ie. make it look like their own.)

With many of the new features being released, I don't think Roku wants to be unique anymore or do any pioneering.  Seems they just turn on other competing streaming devices and figure out how to borrow features and implement them on the Roku platform. (ie. PhotoStreams and now the thumbnail Search and Recommended viewing).

With the inclusion of a seperate and dedicated thumbnail section of Youtube results seperated from the others, suspect we are now starting to see some of the "agreements" reached from their dispute last year implemented in the Roku OS as well.

------

Feedback as requested by @RokuDanny-R to forward to the team.

1. If this thumbnail feature is going to be actively developed and implemented, then an option for both List and Tile should be provided.  If not, then this is just a redundancy of the other screens that only have thumbnail results.

2. Some of the thumbnails are blank (no image).  Others are difficult to view since they are logos.  Can't get much description from a photo, so need to select the photo (possibly resulting in a channel being installed) just to view the content to see if it relevant to the Search. 

3. Thumbnails are not even in an alphabetical order.  Just all thrown into a section and have to scroll through horizontally. Seems more of a "popular" search result than a content driven result.  

4. The older method shows both the text and the accompanying thumbnail if wanted, so not really sure what eliminating the text is accomplishing other than hiding the text result and forcing the user to a horizontal browsing method through images.  Less effective and less defined results obtained.  Basically just guessing if an image is in any way related to your search.

5. The dedicated section to Youtube is concerning.  I have a hard time believing there won't be more dedicated sections in the future as other services/networks demand to not be included with the other results. From the increased presence/advertising on the platform I have seen lately, Disney will likely have a future section. (may be the cynical part of me thinking these dedicated sections can be had for a price).

6. I am still trying to find a positive aspect of this new Search feature, but will update if any come to mind just to be fair.

VBT

Jump to solution

I have the same problem 

search was working great 

the icons are useless 

please change back to the old search where I can get a chronological list of everything by an actor or director. 
then when I click on the one I’m interested in I get details and provider 

dc77
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I agree, the old search feature with the test search list was MUCH BETTER!!!!  It sorted an actors filmography from recent to older movies and other works, and it was easy to find what you were looking for MUCH Quicker! The Home Screen search feature was so much superior to other Search Engines in other apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Discovery Plus, Hulu, Vudu, Crackle, etc) that I ALWAYS went to the Home Screen and did a search from the Roku Main menu,  Of course, you can search in the individual applications (Amazon, Netflix, etc) but it was so EASY to hit "Home" then "Search" and keep your past searches in one place.

The thumbnails may look "nice" in the different rows like other interfaces, but one of the reasons I like Roku so well was it's nice Search Feature (have had Roku's 10+ years and own 5 or 6 of them).

Please bring the old Search Feature back, or at least have the option to put it in the ORIGINAL search view!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@0riginalShannon 

"Has anyone found a successful way to revert back to the old search function that would show a list when you were searching for a actor or title versus what I see now which is icons and a cluttered mess?"

Not yet.

---

Mine is a little quircky.  Will revert to the List for a couple of searches and then back to image tiles.  Still trying to determine if a particular action is triggering this or if just a buggy release of this feature.

jrfinke

Jump to solution

Same thing. The new search platform is a step backwards in my opinion. When I search for an actor, they're categorized under "Cast and Crew". Then around eight different categories are displayed. I much preferred seeing a complete chronological list of that actor's available movies as it appeared in the past - not suggestions.