Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barbara13

problem with roku accepting a serial number of streaming stick

I want to get the HDMI extender & Rokyu keeps saying the serial  number is not correct. The stick & remote was given to me by someone else.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: problem with roku accepting a serial number of streaming stick

What's the model number of the stick?  Is it purple?  It may not be supported anymore.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
lurabyss

Same problem. Bought ROKU Streaming Stick Plus less than a year ago - now it overheats once in a while. after 1-2 hours.

ROKU troubleshooting says to order FREE HDMI Extender cable to resolve problem. After entering the info on the free cable request page, and pressing "submit" or "send" - nothing happens. Page not working.

Elsewhere when requesting replacement it asked to enter SN - and it says invalid. Checking the printed SN on the streaming stick - what we entered onto the web site is clearly what is printed on the Roku device.

No way to contact actual support agents it seems. Not happy.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@lurabyss

Thanks for the post.

When inputting your serial number in the online form, are you making sure to use the number "zero" and not using the letter "O".
Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
p220sigman

I have the same issue and have tried entering it with the number 0 and the letter "o"  Still says not valid.  I've never gotten this stick to get beyond entering the password for the wifi before it freezes.  I just want to exchange it for one that hopefully works since I've tried every suggestion I could find.  I can't PM anyone because I'm a new member I guess and have had no other contact for support.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@p220sigman

Thanks for the post.

I have responded to your PM and will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jjworange
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue with my 3820r.  It froze up, won't respond to any remote input, including from the Roku app.  I've tried every reset and re-pairing that I could find and nothing changes.  An older Roku device works in the same HDMI slot.  I just purchased the stick in January from Amazon, so it still shou;d be under warranty.  When I tried to submit a claim it said that the SN that I was entering was invalid.  I tried both 'O' and '0', both were invalid.  The same SN appears on the stick and the original box so it must be correct.  What do i do now?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Go to your account at https://my.roku.com and look under "Linked devices".  Try the serial number that appears there.  Only Roku knows why it doesn't match the one on the device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jjworange,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

If this issue is not resolved, please let us know along with any additional information you may have that would be helpful for our team looks into this problem. Kindly include the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
jjworange
Reel Rookie

Thanks Jim!  That was the problem.  The SN on their website was definitely not what appears on the stick or packaging.  When I tried to submit the return quest again with the website SN it accepted it.  Thanks for the help!!

0 Kudos