Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jon5
Reel Rookie

playing tones while not in use

Jump to solution

My Roku streaming stick has started playing tones while it's not in use. Sounds like the startup tone and the inactivity shutdown tone.

Any idea what's causing this? How to fix it?

Thanks!

-- Jon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jon5
Reel Rookie

Re: playing tones while not in use

Jump to solution

It wasn't the Roku.

Modern consumer electronics has way too many error tones...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Jon5 

I may be missing something, misunderstanding something, or forgetting something, but I don't recall a Roku shutdown sound. Roku devices don't shut down. There's no off switch.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Jon5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

They have their own shutdown they do automatically after a period of inactivty, right?

That's what I'm referring to.

-- Jon

0 Kudos
Jon5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

And actually this has probably been going on for some time, perhaps since I got the device.

I wasn't hearing it before because usually I don't have audio output from the Roku directed to my speakers.

What I'm hearing: intermittent tones that sound like Roku startup and (automatic) shutdown tones.

Is there something that could be causing the Roku to cycle from active->inactive->active ?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Jon5 

I'm still not clear about what you're hearing. Roku does have a sound that plays when it boots up, and you get the "bouncing ROKU" logo on the screen. Is that the "startup tone" you're talking about?

And as for a "shutdown tone," Roku doesn't automatically shut down. If you have Bandwidth Saver enabled, and you don't interact with the remote for four hours, the app will stop playing and device will return to the Home screen, but that's it. The Roku won't shut down. There's no shutdown routine, manual or otherwise, for Roku.

When you reboot the Roku via the menu, there's no special tone. The only sound is the same tone you get when you press OK to launch an app. There is no "shutdown tone." That's why I'm not sure what it is you're hearing.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Jon5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It wasn't the Roku.

Modern consumer electronics has way too many error tones...

0 Kudos