Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimisbell
Reel Rookie

is 4 better than Express 4k+

Jump to solution

I succumbed to the advertising but now even before it arrived, I dont think the Rocu Express 4k+ is an upgrade to my Rocu 4.  Have I missed something?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jimisbell
Reel Rookie

Re: is 4 better than Express 4k+

Jump to solution

Great!  Better picture was why I bought it but I was surprised to see that it was considered a benefit that the remote had an earphone jack and voice search because my Rocu 4 has that!  I use a NEC Projector on a 100" screen and am quite happy with the Rocu 4 but any improvement in picture is welcome when projecting to 100".  I need everything the source is sending and I dont need "simulated HDR"  its not a benefit in my opinion.

I am also hoping it runs cooler because the Rocu 4 would get VERY hot when running continuously and I liked to leave it ON 24 hours a day so it would start instantaneously.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @jimisbell

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

You may see the difference while watching or streaming the channel, Roku Express streams HD picture quality, while Roku Express 4K can stream 4K pictures and HDR color. There's also Roku Express 4K+, which is the same as Roku Express 4K but includes a voice remote with TV controls. To see the side-by-side comparison chart of our newest models you may visit: https://www.roku.com/products/compare

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If you have a Roku 4 (model 4400), then yes the Express 4K+ is a huge improvement over that player. The Roku 4 is 7 1/2 years old, and is no longer supported by Roku. If it gets the new version of Roku OS (12.0) it will be the last version it ever gets. 

The Roku 4 did support 4K, but it did not support any form of HDR. The Express 4K+ supports HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG. It does not support Dolby Vision. The Roku 4 had a processor that was never used by any other Roku, which is likely why they are discontinuing support for it. The Express 4K+ uses the same processor as all of the current models of Roku players. 

The Roku 4 had an Ethernet jack, which the Express 4K+ does not have. But the WiFi is quite good, and there's really no loss of functionality with no Ethernet. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
jimisbell
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Great!  Better picture was why I bought it but I was surprised to see that it was considered a benefit that the remote had an earphone jack and voice search because my Rocu 4 has that!  I use a NEC Projector on a 100" screen and am quite happy with the Rocu 4 but any improvement in picture is welcome when projecting to 100".  I need everything the source is sending and I dont need "simulated HDR"  its not a benefit in my opinion.

I am also hoping it runs cooler because the Rocu 4 would get VERY hot when running continuously and I liked to leave it ON 24 hours a day so it would start instantaneously.

0 Kudos