Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AVLSTU
Reel Rookie

Windows Miracast sees Roku Ultra, Ultra says "Starting Video", then freezes and fails

Trying to mirror from a Windows 10 laptop to a Roku Ultra.

Using Action Center I choose Connect to start Miracast, then choose the Roku Ultra.

The Ultra says "Starting Video from [my laptop name] and the progress bar immediately shows about 1/3 completion.  After a few seconds the connection fails without the video ever starting. 

From the above symptom, does anyone understand what is the underlying problem and how to fix it?

Any suggestions will be gratefully attempted.  That said, I have tried every solution on this forum and other site, and nothing has worked thus far.

Other information, in case it is useful:

Windows 10 is up to date.  Miracast driver is up to date. 

Disabling Norton 360 and Norton Firewall does not solve the problem.

Router is Google Nest 5G, with excellent signal strength and works perfectly with Hulu, Netflix etc.  Setting Nest to be Public (not Private) does not solve the problem.

Roku Ultra is a bit over one year old.  Removing my laptop from the Roku "accept automatically" list and then reconnecting does not solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.  Cheers.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Windows Miracast sees Roku Ultra, Ultra says "Starting Video", then freezes and fails

Can you put the video on a USB drive and plug it into the Ultra to prove the video plays without a problem?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AVLSTU
Reel Rookie

Re: Windows Miracast sees Roku Ultra, Ultra says "Starting Video", then freezes and fails

Thanks for your reply!  I need to clarify something.  The Roku message says "starting video from [my computer name], but there is NOT a video I can put on a USB drive.  I get this message when I am trying to MIRROR my laptop using Miracast.

I hope this information is useful and look forward to any other suggestion you might have.

0 Kudos
AVLSTU
Reel Rookie

UPDATE WITH ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

After making the initial post about this problem, I tested my laptop on a 2nd Roku Ultra in a different part of the house.  The attempted Miracast screen mirroring had exactly the same problem mentioned in the initial post.

I then borrowed my wife's Windows 10 laptop and tested hers with each Roku, using it at the same distance as mine between the laptop and the Roku.  The Miracast screen mirroring worked perfectly with both Roku Ultras. 

FYI, each of these two laptops has Norton 360 installed with default settings.

So... the problem is not with the Roku, Norton 360/Firewall or with the Google Nest router.  The problem seems to be some setting on my laptop that is different from my wife's.

If this helps narrow down the problem, I will gladly follow any list of things to try that anyone has to suggest.

Lastly - my wife is not a computer geek and it is highly doubtful that she has changed some setting.  In fact, her laptop is my older laptop (both are Dell Latitudes) and I maintain the software on each.

Thanks again for reading this update.  It would be sooo nice to get this problem solved.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I know you say both the working and non-working laptops are running Norton, but I would still try disabling the firewall to see what happens.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos