Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimbob54
Reel Rookie

Wifi access to OS X file systems?

I recently acquired a TCL TV with built-in Roku. I’ve been using an old Mac Mini to access a home video library on another Mac, but the old Mac mini has developed a disconcerting audio buzz, which I don’t know how to cure. Rather than acquire a replacement Mac, I’m wondering if there’s some way to enable Roku to access a remote OS X file system via wifi - anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Wifi access to OS X file systems?

@jimbob54  You have a TCL Roku TV. It’s a streaming tv made to stream channels such as Hulu, Netflix and Disney. You can even hookup an gaming console to it, cable box or an antenna. But you cannot use it to access a computer. Windows or Mac. It’s a TV

0 Kudos
jimbob54
Reel Rookie

Thanks. Actually, I was able install an app called (I think) Plex on the Roku, which does seem able to be able to access the OS X file system via wifi. But I don’t like the interface, so I’m hoping for other alternatives

Ello2022
Roku Guru

@jimbob54  I have never used Plex. Yes it’s a media file player but your still asking a lot from a TV. Not sure if anyone else can lend a hand. Have you tried a Google search?

0 Kudos
jimbob54
Reel Rookie

Thanks. AFAIK, the Roku device is really a computer, almost certainly more sophisticated than the 15 yo old Mac Mini I’m currently using. I think it’s just a matter of software. I haven’t tried the Plex app for a while, I will take another look

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@jimbob54  Everything is a computer now a days. Even a Nest thermostat. But you wouldn’t expect your thermostat to play media files right?  I think you completely have the total misconception of what a Roku TV is. It’s designed for streaming. Just like a Roku Streaming Stick is. I own 3 TCL Roku TVs. It’s how I watch Netflix, Hulu, Prime, YouTube TV, Paramount+, Disney+ and more. I want an expected to do anything else

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@jimbob54 

You can certainly use various media servers for what you are trying to accomplish.  

I believe most recommend the Plex  server for Mac and Roku.  I know nothing about Mac, so not much help to you there.

(https://www.macinstruct.com/tutorials/how-to-stream-movies-from-mac-to-roku/).

I have a simple setup with a hard drive at my router that shares files to my network and Roku devices over DLNA.  I usually just run everything through handbrake to work with Roku and then use the Roku Media Player to play files.  Otherwise, I use Kodi in a roundabout fashion in order to get to work on Roku.

For those with extensive libraries, they prefer the media servers that handle all the codecs. (Plex, Servioo, Emby, Jellyfin, etc).

Has been a while since I have played with the above.  Others will certainly be by and vastly improve upon my suggestions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@jimbob54 

You can certainly use the Mac as a Plex server. I set up my mother's Mac Mini as a plex server, and she used it for 2-3 years before she passed.

I've run Plex on Mac, Windows, and even Raspberry Pi Linux. It works well if you follow the file naming convention.

As @AvsGunnar said, there are other options, and the concepts are the same. If another interface is more to your liking, then perhaps one of those will work.

What I don't like are the Plex defaults of "Recommended," nor the Home Screen. I always go to Movies and display Library (or sometimes Collections). It remembers the last selection, so that's good. It's not fancy, but it is a simple, standard interface. I just don't like the "Recommended" display, but it's easy enough to get and stay off that.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."