Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deadbeat-Native
Binge Watcher

Why is Roku Premier+ (4630x) clock running fast?

My Roku 4630x received the new OS 11.0.0 update on April 21st.  Since that update the clock is consistently 7 minutes and 37 seconds fast. The time zone is correct and is the date.  None of the channels will play with the exception of a few programs on SYFY.  All other will load but will not play.  

I have factory reset the device 4 times.  No change.

Change the time zone, but that only changes the hour and the minutes are still 07:37 fast.

I tried forcing the selection of primary time servers using DHCP, but the roku ignores it.
[Servers selected are time-c-b.nist.gov & time-c-a.nist.gov]
All my other internet connected devices precisely match my radio controlled clock except the Roku Premeir+ (4630x).  The radio controlled clock receives its signal from the Boulder NIST site.

The option to set the time either automatically or manually is no longer present on the TIME ZONE menu.

How do I resolve this botched update?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Why is Roku Premier+ (4630x) clock running fast?

None of the channels will play? Such as Netflix? Hulu? Can you provide examples? Unplug your Roku, modem and router for 10 minutes. Then plug them all back in and wait for everything to sync up

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Deadbeat-Native  I would try to do a system update.  Go into settings, system, system update

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Deadbeat-Native

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Aside from your clock issue, you've mentioned that none of your channels will play. Are you getting an error code or message? Please also provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Deadbeat-Native
Binge Watcher

Model: Roku Premiere+ (4630 series)  

Device Id:  7KA686270433

Device OS: 11.0.0 applied April 21, 2022 at 5:42am PDT.

Public IP: 69.1.101.46  (This not a translated address. This is the IP address of the ROKU ethernet interface.)

Rebooting router is irrelevant since it is not hooked to a router, pi-hole, firewall, or security device.  It is connected directly to the ISP via ethernet.  WIFI is not an option since ROKU does support radius server requiring a digital certificate for authentication.

However I feel the entire situation is now moot point considering I power cycled the device by unplugging the power supply from the back of the device.  The device seems to be at the factory defaults.  When I selected the language to use it immediately reboots.  If I ignore the language prompt the screensaver activates.  I wake the device, select any language(I've tried all five of them.), and it immediately reboots.  If I press the <right> arrow to move to network connection from the language prompt the device reboots.

I have tried performing a hard reset using the reset button on the bottom of device.   No change.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Deadbeat-Native  Your Roku 4630 was released in 2016. Unfortunately it’s out of warranty. It could have an internal failure. Rebooting a modem even if a device is on Ethernet is still a troubleshooting step. I reboot my modem once a week just to refresh it 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Deadbeat-Native

Thanks for the posts and providing us with your information.

I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Deadbeat-Native
Binge Watcher

There is no modem involved to reboot.  There are three MGb SFP+ transceivers connected to three different CISCO C1000-16P-2G-L switches for fail-over redundancy.  Restarting these switches regularly violates the 99.99% uptime availability policy I must operate within for the corporate data center mirror that is operating at my location. The last time this connection was interrupted/reset was Aug 27, 2017 after a commercial vehicle crash damaged Fiber Optic lines operated by the ISP.

So to briefly summarize the Roku is not connected to anything that remotely resembles a consumer grade device or residential gateway connection to the internet.

0 Kudos
Deadbeat-Native
Binge Watcher

Tracker ID: 33-166-934  ***Edit*** I noticed that I typed 16 instead of 166.

I completely forgot that I had an 32GB sd card installed in the roku.  I wiped the sd card.  I finally decided to the try a few different hard reset methods I am aware of that other device makers use for their devices.

I found one method that forced the roku to revert back to the original firmware that it was shipped with. (I'm not disclosing which method I used publicly since I figure you only use that method as a last resort.)

Once the device rebooted I selected the language, choose the internet connection, the device immediately found and downloaded an update.  Once the update was installed the device rebooted it was running OS version 11.0.0 build build 4184-29.  The previous OS version that was installed on April 21st was build 4184-25.

0 Kudos