Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomsey
Channel Surfer

The movie magic screensaver has morphed into an ad for SpiderWick

Jump to solution

Hi. I use a regular Roku player.

Normally, I use the default City Stroll Movie Magic screensaver.

In the settings i have Seasonal and Sponsored wallpapers set to "off". 

But recently, the City scroll movie magic screensaver has changed into a big ad for SpiderWick.

I prefer the regular Movie Magic screensaver. I tried to restore default theme etc, but it seems the base movie magic screensaver has been altered. Is it going to stay like that for a long time?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tomsey
Channel Surfer

Re: The movie magic screensaver has morphed into an ad for SpiderWick

Jump to solution

Actually it has changed back to normal now.. Thanks!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ThisishT
Binge Watcher

Why did Roku add Spiderwick Chronicles Show/Hide choice option to my Menu Items page?

Jump to solution

Several weeks ago, my Roku device reverted to the original Roku 3x3 app grid size. Roku made the choice to remove the 3x3 or 4x4 (preferred 4x4) app grid size choice option from my device. Now Roku has made the choice to add the Spiderwick Chronicles Show/Hide choice option to my device Menu Items page and no way to remove this item from my device. How can this be considered a Roku Menu Item? Spiderwick Chronicles is a Roku Original series program. It is obvious to me that Roku can modify and/or change (good and/or bad) the Roku devices if and when they choose to do so! 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why did Roku add Spiderwick Chronicles Show/Hide choice option to my Menu Items page?

Jump to solution

Roku occasionally pushes out new items or changes to the base UI, and the default is always set to "show". But I had no problem changing it to "hide". What model Roku device do you have? The setting to hide that particular menu item is under Settings/Home Screen.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ThisishT
Binge Watcher

Re: Why did Roku add Spiderwick Chronicles Show/Hide choice option to my Menu Items page?

Jump to solution

To atc98092     You must have misunderstood my post, or do I misunderstand your reply. I did hide this Program series Title that is associated with the Settings/Home Screen Menu Items Show/Hide list. Anyway, what I am saying is that Spiderwick Chronicles (a Program series Title and not a Menu Item) is a Roku Original Program series on the Roku channel that is currently being displayed on the Roku Settings/Home Screen listed under the "Menu Items" with the option to "Hide or Show" the program and similar to Menu Items listed as being (Live TV, What to Watch and etc.) Show/Hide option settings. I do not understand how or why Roku would suddenly make the choice to display and/or push any MOVIE and/or TV PROGRAM as a "particular" MENU ITEM Show/Hide option. Will Roku now be pushing all NEW movies or TV programs straight to the Roku Settings/Home Screen Menu Items? That will be a never-ending list added to the Home Screen Menu Items.

0 Kudos
sputnics

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I chose hide but it had no effect. I can't even see the wallpaper I chose anymore because my whole screen is spiderwick.  Why are they forcing us to look at an ugly dark forest screen?  Does anyone have a solution to this?  

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Go to settings/Themes and disable sponsored themes and seasonal themes.

Maggie-L

Jump to solution

I hid also but to no effect! I can't see my choice of wallpaper because of that creepy show being advertised to me by roku! 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Maggie-L wrote:

I hid also but to no effect! I can't see my choice of wallpaper because of that creepy show being advertised to me by roku! 

Did you see the advice to disable sponsored and seasonal themes? That will clear the show promotion. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Rascal78

Jump to solution

I've done all of these suggestions on both of my Roku sound bar pros and it doesn't clear the spiderwick advert down in the lower left corner or on the right side. I own multiple rokus but I swear with every encroachment on my  device they push me closer to an AppleTV.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Rascal78 that's an ad window, and you can't do anything about that. Roku puts ads there all the time, and you have no control over what will appear there. It's the same on my Android TV devices, with ads across the top part of the screen that I can't control. They only control you have is the custom themes that Roku pushes out occasionally and when they add a menu item for something new (like they did for Spiderwick). Those you can disable. 

Dan

0 Kudos