Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aqk
Reel Rookie

Why cannot Roku support more video formats on the USB?

Well, this pretty well does it!

It's time to buy  a  TCL TV with Android support, and try to sell my 8-month-old 50" Roku/TCL to a friend who doesn't know what a USB, an AVI or Handbrake is!
I have almost a terabyte of movies on an SSD, and my TCL with Roku only recognizes the MP4 ones. (about 30%).
A friend just bought a similar TCL, but loaded with Android and NOT Roku!  And it has Bluetooth as well. 
Now if there was some way to root a Roku system and install Android on my TV....!
Roku better get their act together, and upgrade their "proprietary" OS to support some of these codecs and file-types!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why cannot Roku support more video formats on the USB?

It's not that Roku can't, it's that Roku has decided to not.

Now,  you should keep in mind that what is most popular with you isn't necessarily most popular overall. And Roku has a business decision to make regarding what features and functionality to invest their time and resources. Certain formats require licensing fees, and Roku won't put the money (in actual money, or in resources) to support something that won't return a sufficient investment, whether it be support for a file format, included equipment, or functionality.

They may lose customers that demand that functionality, but the reality is, Roku is clear upfront about what they support. Someone choosing a device that doesn't support something, then that person getting upset about the device not supporting it, does not mean Roku made a bad decision. Caveat emptor.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

bantamcc

Why not install PLEX media server (plays all formats) and stream to your Roku. Install the  PLEX app on your Roku and make sure your TV is wired to either your router or home LAN.

Problem solved ! 

bantamcc

Why not install PLEX media server (plays all formats) and stream to your Roku. Install the  PLEX app on your Roku and make sure your TV is wired to either your router or home LAN.

Problem solved ! 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

What @bantamcc said is true. The issues to overcome with this: you'll need a computer set up and running, and the computer will need to be powerful enough to do this. If @aqk does go this route (and it is what I do, too, by the way), it would be a good idea to look at the Plex Website to see what requirements would be needed to transcode the files.

Most modern computers will do the job just fine. I used an older computer, not my day to day computer, to perform the function of a Plex server. If @aqk decides to dedicate a computer to serve Plex content, and utilizes and old PC or laptop for the job, making sure it's powerful enough might be a good idea.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos