Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why apple airplay but no Chromecast?

Why on the new update there is apple airplay and nothing for chromecast for Android? Roku is a Linux based os and should have no issue in having connection with android, I honestly regret buying my Roku express and should have bought something else for the price I paid.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why apple airplay but no Chromecast?

@monsterdrink82 

I don't know the reasoning behind the decision, but there are a few casting apps in the Play Store that work very well on the Roku. (Rokify, Castify, Web Video Caster).

I personally use Web Video Caster for all my casting from Android to Roku. (free version is perfectly fine, or an ad-free $3 one time purchase is available).

https://channelstore.roku.com/search/web+video+caster

Install the companion receiver on the Roku device, install the app on your Android Phone. (works for both Android and Apple by the way).

---

I believe the only two native channels on Roku that can be directly casted to (using Cast button on Android) is still just Youtube and Netflix.  

---

As for Linux, one of the drawbacks of Linux is the difficulty in natively casting or mirroring from the OS. (Especially if you do not use Chrome browser).  If I do not need wireless casting, (which the Web Video Caster is used extensively for),  I leave longer HDMI cables connected to the TVs that I regularly connect my laptops to.  Not really casting, more using in extended monitor mode but can stream/display anything directly to TV. (Roku not even involved in this method).

They even make USB-C to HDMI adapters that you can use for your Android phone to connect to your TV.  Really only need Chromecast or any other wireless casting ability if you really need wireless method or prefer it over a wired method.

As you can see, there are ways to cast and get your content to either the Roku or your TV using Android, just a little more involved than those devices that support Chromecast.  

I don't mind an extra app or some extra clicks/keystrokes to achieve the above, but if Chromecast/Google Cast is important to you, may want to look into the Google Streaming devices or even the Onn Streaming player (Android TV with built-in Chromecast).  It is not uncommon for users to have multiple streaming platforms so they can jump between the devices that provide them the features they need in a given situation.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@monsterdrink82 

FYI, the "new update" isnt new - its 2 years old now (AirPlay support was introduced in fall 2020 with the release of OS 9.4).  Also, a Roku Express is $15-20 - not exactly "bank breaking" as you suggest.

However, its not clear whether you want to cast (from an app) or mirror (from the OS).

As for casting/mirroring protocol/standard support:

Roku supports DIAL (casting), Miracast (mirroring), AirPlay (casting/mirroring) and PlayOnRoku (casting).

Roku does NOT support GoogleCast/ChromeCast (casting/mirroring), Fling (casting), or MATTER (casting/mirroring - Roku may/will add support in OS12 next spring, or possibly earlier via a stealth/announced middleware update).

All of these casting/mirroring protocols are OS-agnostic (including ChromeCast/GoogleCast), and can be either built-in or added/enabled via third party apps/tools.

Its possible Roku may add GoogleCast/ChromeCast protocol support at some point via an agreement with Google (after all, they did the same thing with AirPlay 2 years ago...), but with the impending arrival of MATTER protocol support, this may be moot (depends on how well the casting/mirroring works).

Google deprecated the built-in Miracast support in Android 6, though many manufacturers re-enable/add Miracast support themselves.

Your Android device (brand/model unknown) may or may not have Miracast (mirroring) support (e.g. Most Samsung devices have it via SmartView), and those that dont can/may have it enabled/added via third party apps (e.g. Quick Settings from Simone Sestito - I highly recommend this app if your Android phone lacks built-in Miracast support).

As @AvsGunnar mentioned, some apps will cast to Roku using DIAL (casting), AirPlay (casting/mirroring) or PlayOnRoku (casting), but not all apps support those protocols (you'll simply need to check each app by selecting the Cast icon and checking the available device list).

You can also try any of the apps/services @AvsGunnar mentioned and see if they work for your needs.

Otherwise, if you absolutely need GoogleCast/ChromeCast support, as @AvsGunnar suggested you might consider getting a $20 ONN (Walmart) 4K Streaming Box - its a very capable streamer, and like all Android TV devices, has built-in ChromeCast support.

@AvsGunnar 

There are other (Android) apps (e.g. YouTube TV) that support DIAL or PlayOnRoku, though they are scarce/minor (some apps that previously supported DIAL absurdly removed the DIAL support and replaced it with GoogleCast/ChromeCast support).

makaiguy

@AvsGunnar wrote:

@monsterdrink82 

[snip]

They even make USB-C to HDMI adapters that you can use for your Android phone to connect to your TV.
[snip]

Note that most (all?) such adapters require your USB port to support MHL.  When I researched this I found a site confirming that my less-than-top-of-the-line Galaxy A42 5G phone does support MHL.   Only after purchasing a USB-C to HDMI adapter for a particular project requiring an HDMI connection to a projector did I discover that the site was in error and my phone does not.

I guess I'll just throw the adapter in a drawer to wait for my next phone ...

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@makaiguy 

Regarding the usb-c to hdmi adapters,  not all are compatible and some don't work between certain devices.

I have an older Android Moto-Zplay and I have an Insignia USB-C to Hdmi adapter I bought from Best Buy awhile ago (open-box clearance) that works. (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-c-to-hdmi-adapter-black/6473497.p?skuId=6473497)

I also have this one from Pacific parts that I leave next to my TV. (http://www.pacific-parts.com/usb-c-to-4k-tv-hdmi-adapter-for-motorola-moto-z4.html)

From their site, you can see if the one specified for your phone may work better for you than the previous one you bought. (http://www.pacific-parts.com/usb-c-to-4k-tv-hdmi-adapter-for-samsung-galaxy-a42.html)

---

I remember when I was initially purchasing these adapters for my phones that they weren't really "universal", and had to read through reviews to make sure they worked with my devices.  I tend to have good luck with the Insignia connectors/adapters for various devices (kind of have to look on their site or the Best Buy site for info though since very little info on the packaging itself.) 

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
ozaz
Binge Watcher

@UserOfStreamers wrote:

MATTER (casting/mirroring - Roku may/will add support in OS12 next spring, or possibly earlier via a stealth/announced middleware update).

Has there been any progress with this?

Regarding the main topic of the thread, other than the original Chromecast dongles I don't think I've ever seen a video streaming device with Chromecast receiver functionality that isn't running official Android TV OS. For example streaming sticks running Amazon Fire TV OS don't have Chromecast receiver functionality event though Fire TV OS its a fork of regular Android. It makes me wonder that perhaps Google require video streaming devices manufacturers to use Android TV OS if they want to act as Chromecast receivers.

0 Kudos