Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ronn18
Reel Rookie

Voice feature on Ultra is on all the time.

Jump to solution

On my one year old Roku Ultra the voice feature, which I seldom use, has come to life and is on all the time. An example. When I am in an app the "voice" will read out loud all the text on the screen. If I pause it tells me I paused and informs as to how much time is left. I see no solution from Roku for this.

At least for me this is very irritating. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Voice feature on Ultra is on all the time.

Jump to solution

Hi @Ronn18,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you with your concern. Roku streaming devices include a text-to-speech screen reader that helps users, particularly those with visual impairments or blindness, to navigate the Roku interface and on-screen menus. When the screen reader is activated, the text, menu items, and other on-screen dialog are read aloud. In order to turn off the screen reader, you may need to press the star button on your Roku remote four times.

You may also visit this support link here.

We hope this helps, and let us know how it works.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Ronn18,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you with your concern. Roku streaming devices include a text-to-speech screen reader that helps users, particularly those with visual impairments or blindness, to navigate the Roku interface and on-screen menus. When the screen reader is activated, the text, menu items, and other on-screen dialog are read aloud. In order to turn off the screen reader, you may need to press the star button on your Roku remote four times.

You may also visit this support link here.

We hope this helps, and let us know how it works.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ronn18
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for responding. This is the fix.

Have no idea how that got turned on. I'm guessing a software update.

0 Kudos