Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveC2
Reel Rookie

Video cast from Android, video skips, gets out of sync with audio

I'm using the Roku app on my Android phone to cast videos to my TV via Roku Express 4K+. The videos are 1920x1080 MPEG-4. All videos skip a bunch of frames every 2 or 3 seconds, making them hard to watch. In addition, the audio doesn't skip, so audio and video get out of sync, with the audio continuing after the video has ended.

I tried a different video cast app, and had the same problem.

The  phone and Roku are in the same room as the WiFi router. I don't know how to measure the speed between the phone and the Roku, but Ookla Speedtest says my download and upload speed over WiFi on the phone is over 500Mb/sec. It seems safe to say that WiFi between the phone and the router is not the problem.

I found an article about putting a Roku TV in game mode to solve audio/video lag problems, but I don't see anything about game mode on the Roku Express 4K+.

Any suggestions on how I can fix the video skipping?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Video cast from Android, video skips, gets out of sync with audio

Make sure your Roku device is powered to a wall outlet and not through the USB port on your TV set.  If that is not the issue, you either have a defective Roku or a defective Android device.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
SteveC2
Reel Rookie

The Roku is power cord is plugged in to the wall. If the phone or Roku is defective, the defect doesn't show up in any other way. That is, using Roku to stream videos from providers like Netflix, and streaming online videos on my phone all work fine.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@SteveC2

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
SteveC2
Reel Rookie

As I said originally, the problem does not occur on any channel (like Netflix), but only when I play a video on my Android phone and cast it to the Roku via the Roku app. 

Roku Model: 3941X - Roku Express 4K+
Serial No: X01600LM55MV
Software Version: 11.0.0, build 4193-CR
Device ID: S07P515M55MV
Tracker ID: MV-289-464

Steps to reproduce:
1. Set TV to Roku input.
2. Start Roku app on Android phone. (in my case, Google Pixel 4a, Android version 12)
3. Select Device. (in my case, an HD TV is the only available device)
4. Select Media, navigate to any video on the phone.
5. Select the video, observe it playing on the TV.
6. Observe that the video playing on the TV plays for about 2 seconds, then skips ahead about a second, plays about 2 seconds, skips again, etc. Observe that the audio does not skip, so audio/video get out of sync.

As an experiment, yesterday I bought a Chromecast device, and tried mirroring the phone to the TV via Chromecast and the Google Home app. The same videos played without skipping. I think that narrows the problem down to the Roku device or the Roku app. The Chromecast is not an acceptable solution for me; I hope to get the Roku to display videos properly.

0 Kudos
SteveC2
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R 

I supplied the information you requested a week ago, still hoping to hear back from you.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @SteveC2,

Thanks for providing us with the requested information.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thank you for your kind and understanding.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos