Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
azponyrider
Channel Surfer

Update to ver 12.5.0 build 4175 now Roku automatically switches from HDMI and no sound

Just prior to update to 12.5.0 Roku Express+ worked fine on my TCL TV. Now it won’t stay on my hdmi. It automatically switches itself to dvi, squeezes the picture, turns the picture pink, and there is no sound.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Update to ver 12.5.0 build 4175 now Roku automatically switches from HDMI and no sound

Hi @azponyrider,

Welcome, and thanks for making your first post here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate for your feedback about this update, and we'd like to learn more better about this. Do you have another TV that you can try to connect to that device and see if that results in the same issue? Also, could you share with us an image of the issue you're seeing and let us know if changing the HDMI port results in the same issue?

Please let us know more about this so we can further investigate it. 

Best regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Update to ver 12.5.0 build 4175 now Roku automatically switches from HDMI and no sound

I assume your TV does NOT have an actual DVI port? (DVI connectors that are much larger than HDMI.)

Googling around a bit, it seems that some TVs have ports labeled “HDMI/DVI”.  These have an actual HDMI connector, but the idea is that if you have a DVI device, you can plug it into a DVI to HDMI adapter, and then you can plug the audio lines into separate analog audio ports.  (So DVI basically means “get the audio from analog audio ports”, and you’ll also see the “DVI” label on the corresponding pair of analog audio inputs.)

Now why is the TV switching to “DVI” by itself?? I suppose there could be an option in the TV with a label like: “Automatically switch to DVI when …” where the … is something like: “I don’t think there is an audio signal on the HDMI input”.  So it might be interesting to check the TV’s manual to see how it makes this determination. The squeezed aspect ratio could be because the TV considers DVI to be a (logically) separate port with its own aspect ratio setting.  But Pink???  I don’t know about that one. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
dot0
Binge Watcher

I have been having the same problem, which I also reported (see: https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/No-sound-in-Express-after-latest-firmware-up...). After further troubleshooting, I have found that I can get my Roku Express+ streaming stick to work if I leave it unplugged while both the TV and the streaming stick power on, and then plug it in (wait like a full minute after you turn on the TV and the little LED on the Roku turns on). I am only guessing, but maybe the Roku is checking for HDMI before the TV makes it available, and then falls back into a DVI mode?

0 Kudos
GJones1220

Our tv had the same software update. Now we have problems with the tv powering off and on by itself and the input option menu randomly scroll fast without stopping. I purchased a new power cord and changed batteries in the remote. I believe this software update have bugs. I factory reset the tv. Anyone know how to fix this problem. Please give advice if can thank you so much. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @dot0,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We'd like to investigate further this issue that you're experiencing. Could you provide us with a photo or video of your running problem?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @GJones1220,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!
We'd love to take a closer look into this issue that you're experiencing. May we know what Roku device you are using right now? (Roku Express, Roku streaming stick, Roku Ultra, Roku stream bar, Roku TV-Specify)

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
NRBGuy
Reel Rookie

Hi @RokuJohnB 

I tried creating a separate post about this but I cant create a new post for some reason. Ever since our TCL Roku TV updated to 12.5.0 build 4175 our TV only works from 6 PM to 12 AM the next day. This has been happening since the update went through on 12/9.

Model A108X - Roku TV

Serial # - X00300G3JLRD (S053Y063JLRD)

Issue ID RD-515-872

Any idea what we can do to fix this issue? If you need additional information I can provide it at any time.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @NRBGuy!

We appreciate you reaching out for support. We'd be more than happy to assist you with this.

We'd like to know more about your concern so we will be collecting more information:

• When you say it only works from 6 PM to 12 AM, does this include all of the available channels? Live TV and on-demand shows? 
  • Have you tried to check your network connection's signal strength after those working hours?
  • After  6 PM to 12 AM, are there any error messages prompted when you try to access channels or does it only buffer? 

We'll be looking forward to your response so we may be able to provide you with an accurate resolution. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dot0
Binge Watcher

Hi @RokuJohnB,

I would be happy to provide a video demonstrating the issue, but I don't see any method of uploading a video to your forums. Do you have an upload application or do I need to provide my own?

0 Kudos