Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrentF
Reel Rookie

The word "Roku" floating around a black screen???

Jump to solution

I disconnected (unplugged) my Roku device for a couple hours. Plugged it back in, turned on the TV with the Roku remote. The TV comes on, but all I get is the Roku logo floating around my blank screen. Nothing happens when I press any of the buttons on the remote. I thought it was resetting, but it's been 20 minutes now. What to do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrentF
Reel Rookie

Re: The word "Roku" floating around a black screen???

Jump to solution

Now that it's fixed, I'm replying to my own question, for the future benefit of others.

I PRESSED THE RESET BUTTON. THAT FIXED IT!!

While I appreciate that they responded, of the two responses I got from "community streaming experts", one of them included 8 questions and no suggestions. The other was more pragmatic, his suggestion that I unplug and replug my device led me to discover that there's a tiny reset button on the device.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

That sounds like the Roku Logo Screen Saver.

Are you sure you unplugged the Roku? That is, removed power? You didn't simply unplug the HDMI connector? You actually removed power?

Which brings up another question? Why? Why did you feel that unplugging the Roku was the thing to do? What was going wrong that doing a power restart was the action to take?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
BrentF
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I unplugged the Roku, removed the power. I unplugged the HDMI connector and unplugged the power. The reason why, why I felt that unplugging the Roku was the thing to do: I was panelling the wall to which my TV was/is mounted; the TV and Roku had to be removed, temporarily. Nothing was going wrong and I was not attempting a reset. 

Simply, I unplugged/disconnected my Roku, because I had to move things around, and now that I've reconnected it, it is not giving me a picture and the remote does not have any affect on the TV. Do you know what I should do to reactivate it?

Thank you

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

With the TV on, disconnect the power from the Roku for a few seconds and reconnect it.  You should see the Roku startup animation and then the Home Screen.  Do you now if you have an IR or an RF (point anywhere) remote?  Did you try new batteries in the remote?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
BrentF
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Now that it's fixed, I'm replying to my own question, for the future benefit of others.

I PRESSED THE RESET BUTTON. THAT FIXED IT!!

While I appreciate that they responded, of the two responses I got from "community streaming experts", one of them included 8 questions and no suggestions. The other was more pragmatic, his suggestion that I unplug and replug my device led me to discover that there's a tiny reset button on the device.

renojim

Jump to solution

To be fair, you never stated what model you have and on some that "tiny reset button" is almost impossible to find.  Unplugging the power is far easier for most users.  If you can't find the power plug then you probably can't see well enough to enjoy streaming anyway.

At least now you know what to do the next time it happens and the next time you have a problem be sure to answer those 8 questions first!  It saves those trying to help a lot of time and frustration.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BrentF
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yours was the helpful response. Thanks

0 Kudos
Fuzz

Jump to solution

Need help, the Roku floating around in black on my TV.  We pulled the little stick that was plugged into a HDMI slot is that what you mean by pulling the power?  We did that and it still is floating around.  I found what I think is a reset button on my remote.  Inside where the batteries are is that the reset button?  

Can't get it to work.  how do we contact Roku for help???

Cheryl

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Fuzz No, that did not remove the power. For a Roku Stick (which is the only player that plugs directly into an HDMI port), there's a separate power wire with a USB connector on the end. That is what needs to be removed to kill the power to the Roku. When you removed the Stick from the TV, the floating Roku logo went away, right?

Since you didn't mention a second wire, I'm wondering if you have one of the very old MHL versions of the Roku Stick. Those devices only work when connected to an MHL port on the TV, and it gets its power from the port as well. The Roku is controlled with the TV remote, not a separate Roku remote. If that's what you have, it's time for an upgrade, as those players are no longer supported.

What is the make/model of your TV? And can you find the model number of the Roku Stick that you unplugged from the back of the TV?

The button on the Remote is a pairing button, not a reset. It is used when the remote loses its connection to the Stick. It will not reset the Roku.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos