Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: THANK YOU! Roku's Live TV Channel Guide fix for Favorites.

Hi @JimL,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We understand you are experiencing changes with Roku's features. It's possible that this has been updated due to the latest version that is now on rollout. Please check out this support article here on how you can access recent and favorite channels on your live TV channel guide.

We hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JimL
Streaming Star

@RokuEuniceL,

The ability to default to Favorites is still broken.  The instructions to make this work in the link you provided does not work either.  Using the asterisk (*) key as directed does nothing.  I'm guessing that the feature in the link you provided was removed during one of the numerous Roku updates.   Admittedly, I personally see no enhancements with any of the Roku updates.  If they are documented, I do not no where to look to review them.

It would be nice if support would just roll back the recent update that broke this so we can go back to our Favorites by default.  It's quite annoying to go through so many steps to get to another channel in our Favorites list.

I can't help but wonder if those involved in making software changes even use a Roku.  Certainly they would have recognized this flaw in the latest update by now.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @JimL

We appreciate you for raising this with us. We want to make sure that we provide a better streaming experience on the Roku platform, and we'll forward this information to the team for review.

Once again, your input is much appreciated and valuable to us.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JimL
Streaming Star

@RokuEuniceL @RokuTakashi 

Is there any remote chance that someone at Roku will finally address this?  Does Roku have anyone in management that understands software and has sense enough to have a rollback plan when it update causes breakage?  It's ludicrous that Roku offers the ability to have selected channels as favorites and then makes us go through hoops to use them.

More and more it seems like no one at Roku is even using a Roku.  For example, in addition to breaking 'Favorites' and not even noticing, the channel guide for "Universal Monsters" is listing episodes of "Keeping up with the Kardashians".  I've never seen that show, but believe I can correctly assume that it was never  filmed in black and white nor had Frankenstein's monster in it.

It's been over two weeks.  Have the supposed updates that broke Favorites fixed anything at all?  Can we finally get this fixed?  

bjohnson7
Channel Surfer

Dear Roku:

PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT @JimL JUST SAID ABOVE.

I was going to add something similar, but he just covered a lot of it.

I will add (for free) that ANY channel that supports Favorites SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY DEFAULT TO IT! The channel shouldn't pass certification if it doesn't do this. We use Favorites for a reason, not as an after thought.

This would seem like common sense.

Here's another tidbit for FREE: When your users are complaining about simple and basic navigation features, they are having a NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE with the product. This is very undesirable from a corporate perspective. They might get fed up and go to your competition. This is very undesirable from a corporate perspective. Your competitors will welcome them and take away your market share. This is very undesirable from a corporate perspective. In the early days of streaming, Roku did this to the others, and they found this very undesirable from their corporate perspective and corrected the situation.

Am I getting the idea across??? I somewhat like Roku, but there are some real OBVIOUS AND AMATEUR mistakes being made here. And I agree with what someone else said: Does Roku even use their own product??? This should have been caught and fixed in an internal pre-release before the public even saw it.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JimL @bjohnson7,

We appreciate you posting here in the Roku Community!

We always aim to provide our customers with the best streaming experience and convenience when using our services. Please be advised that this has already been noted, and we have passed it along to the appropriate Roku team for review.

Once again, thank you so much for your feedback, and we value your input. If you need anything else, please let us know.

All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tlctvuser

Favorites is still broken. same song and dance. Defaults to all channels each time you use the guide.

Ckatziff
Reel Rookie

In case you haven’t noticed, all responses from the “Roku Team” are obviously automated, meaning no actual Roku support person has really responded to this matter.

I’ve accepted the fact that they don’t consider this to be “broken” and it’s just the way it’s going to be. 

Is it right, or does it make any logical sense whatsoever?  Certainly not, but not worth the effort IMO.

JimL
Streaming Star

It has been four months since this was again 'broken', so obviously, there's no intent to make Roku's Live TV function properly.  There has been zero communications regarding this ever being fixed, and as much time that has passed without word, it seems obvious that there is no interest in doing so.  Whether it's from apathy, arrogance, or simply incompetent management, I do not know.   I just know that I do not appreciate the lack of response.

I do have a work-around.  It isn't pretty and takes some time, but this will work.  It involves hiding all other channels so only your favorites show up, but the category will still be All Channels.

-First, scroll to the left to the channel identifier (any channel).

- Next, hit the asterisk key (*) on the remote.

- Next, select "Manage Channels".

- Next select "Edit Channel Lineup".

- Next, select the channels you wish to hide (ALL of the channels you no longer wish to see).

This is time consuming the first time, but you will no longer see the other channels that you didn't want to see to begin with,  Of course, as Roku adds a new channel, you will need to hide that channel also.  If someone has a better way, please post it.  

Admittedly, I'm trying to wean myself off this this app totally and have been searching which other apps contain the channels I wish to see.  I have had it with the ad for The Marriage Pact.  Why they chose a filthy mouth woman saying holy **bleep** in the only ad for this show and which plays at every single  commercial break is beyond me.  Yeah, I know, Roku pretends to be censoring it, but couldn't be doing a poorer job.  If anyone has a way to eliminate or automatically mute this ad, I would love to see it!  This alone is driving me away from Roku.  

0 Kudos
THSnow

Really?  Then how does one apply that fix? Is it only available on new TVs or by purchasing another attachment? 

0 Kudos