Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jainraje
Reel Rookie

Streambar and audio handling

HI All,

I need advise/help on how to route audio to my stereo during Roku playback?

Here is my setup:

Streambar <----- HDMI 1 ------> | TV | <- Analog Audio -> Stereo Receiver -> speakers
Streambar <-- optical audio ----> |       |

PC <------------- HDMI 2 -------> |       |

Use Case #1 PC Playback => OK

- video is present on TV
- audio is heard from Streambar speaker
- audio is heard from Stereo speaker

Use Case #2 Roku Playback => NOK

- video is present on TV
- audio is heard from Streambar speaker
- No audio is heard from Stereo speaker = > NOK

Use Case #1 above works fine and precisely how it should. Audio is heard on all audio output devices. Use case #2 does not route audio to my stereo.

I'm under the impression the optical audio on the Streambar is input only. It should be output as well to allow audio to be sent to another audio device. The optical audio from Stearbat could then be routed to the Stereo Receiver.

Questions:
1) What can be done to get audio routed to my stereo when using the Roku Playback?

2) Can the HDMI-ARC be disabled with the Streambar?

3) Any other configure that would allow the audio to be routed to my stereo duing Roku playback?

I'm coming to the conclusion, audio handling on the Roku streambar is not well thought out and not flexible. I hope I am wrong.

TIA,
Rajeev

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
jainraje
Reel Rookie

Re: Streambar and audio handling

I’m surprised no responses. Am I the only one trying to use a external stereo receiver with my Tv and the Roku streambar?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

I’ve never had a sound bar but I was under the impression that they were typically marketed to people who wanted to replace nasty TV audio without going to a full sound system.  I’m curious as to why you added a streambar?  It seems like a conventional/cheaper Roku player would send audio to the TV which would then go out to the receiver and speakers.

As for the idea of bidirectional optical, in the audio/visual world (unlike for example ethernet) connections tend to be inputs or outputs. Googling around a bit, all the optical ports I see are labeled in and out. 

As for how many people do this?  Well, I did back in the 80s and 90s, but in the 2000s I’ve been using an AVR and now life is very simple:

All input devices ----> (HDMI cables)  ----> AVR  ----> TV and speakers.

Just something you might consider in the future.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
jainraje
Reel Rookie

I appreciate the response. My stereo receiver is a older model with no HDMI inputs but provides exceptional audio out so I want to use it. My TV has 4 HDMI inputs (with typical TV quality audio speakers) . The Roku streambar is connected to the TV via HDMI and an optical audio cable. Analog out from the TV go to the stereo receiver. With this configuration audio comes out of bot the Roku streambar and stereo receive with all HDMI inputs excel the Streambar. With Roku streambar audio is only heard from the streambar. I attached a 2nd Roku to the above and now audio is heard from Streambar and Stereo receiver. 

0 Kudos
randallevans
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue with the Streambar. I can't figure out how to play sound to an external source while still having the speaker on the Streambar active. Have you found a solution? My last thought is to try the Bluetooth settings on the Streambar and use a Bluetooth to analogue adapter to convert the sound to my external headphones to play both at the same time.

0 Kudos