Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep Timer NEEDED for Roku Stick 4k

I guess this is a feature request, i can't understand how this wasn't included. But a sleep timer is necessary for bedroom tv's. I already had a roku tv with a sleep timer but i bought a 4k stick to use on a better tv and come to find it has no sleep timer or other picture and audio options under the star button menu. The stick can power on and off my tv so why can't a timer be added. This is a huge disappointment that i have to keep both remotes around even after you advertise getting rid of your tv remote. Please program in a timer and put it in the next update. 

4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sleep Timer NEEDED for Roku Stick 4k

@Ineedsleeptimer, you can make feature requests at:

Suggest a Feature | Roku Community | Roku

As for picture options, that's a function of the TV, not the stick.  There should be some audio options like "sound leveling".  Anything more than basic audio options is also a function of the TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Ineedsleeptimer 

Roku TVs aren't built by Roku. Whatever brand your TV is, they built the timing mechanism that allows a timer to turn off a TV. As you can control this via the Roku interface, the TV manufacturer built it to a standard that Roku can support.

This may seem off topic, but it's to illustrate a point. Roku TVs do not use the same IR controls as Roku devices. That should point out that TVs and attachments such as Roku devices aren't always fully compatible. Roku TVs were built to Roku standards, but still don't utilize the same IR codes as regular Roku devices.

There are a number of TVs that Roku Voice Remotes cannot control. While Roku Voice Remotes control many many TVs (and every one I've had), a search of this board shows that there are still a number that Roku Voice Remotes can't control. In fact, just a few minutes ago, I responded to one such post.

Additionally, there are some TVs that Roku will control power but not volume, power on but not power off, or volume but not power. What I'm saying is that the variations on TVs is great, and any such attempt to add a feature may not work.

Still, if you want to submit that as a feature request, use the Suggest a Feature page. Perhaps Roku will consider it and add it for TVs that meet certain criteria.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Catheyc51

This incorrect. I so happen to have a Roku 4K streaming stick and I had a Samsung TV. It had a sleep timer on the Roku app in the settings. I recently purchased a new Samsung TV. It's exact same model as the old Samsung and this new Samsung for some reason doesn't have the sleep timer on it Now. That makes absolutely no sense. The TVs are the both exact model numbers Now. Why would one have a sleep timer on it in the other one not?

@DBDukes wrote:

@Ineedsleeptimer 

Roku TVs aren't built by Roku. Whatever brand your TV is, they built the timing mechanism that allows a timer to turn off a TV. As you can control this via the Roku interface, the TV manufacturer built it to a standard that Roku can support.

This may seem off topic, but it's to illustrate a point. Roku TVs do not use the same IR controls as Roku devices. That should point out that TVs and attachments such as Roku devices aren't always fully compatible. Roku TVs were built to Roku standards, but still don't utilize the same IR codes as regular Roku devices.

There are a number of TVs that Roku Voice Remotes cannot control. While Roku Voice Remotes control many many TVs (and every one I've had), a search of this board shows that there are still a number that Roku Voice Remotes can't control. In fact, just a few minutes ago, I responded to one such post.

Additionally, there are some TVs that Roku will control power but not volume, power on but not power off, or volume but not power. What I'm saying is that the variations on TVs is great, and any such attempt to add a feature may not work.

Still, if you want to submit that as a feature request, use the Suggest a Feature page. Perhaps Roku will consider it and add it for TVs that meet certain criteria.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Catheyc51 wrote:

... I recently purchased a new Samsung TV. It's exact same model as the old Samsung and this new Samsung for some reason doesn't have the sleep timer on it Now. That makes absolutely no sense. The TVs are the both exact model numbers Now. Why would one have a sleep timer on it in the other one not?

Samsung does not make Roku TVs. Any functionality of the Samsung TV is something to talk with Samsung about.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos