Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nick9579
Channel Surfer

Screen Mirror , Apple iPhone not seeing ROKU streaming stick+

ROKU PROBLEM with screen mirroring, FROM apple iPhone to Roku Stick+

network belkin54g
my android phone sees ROKU-NICK and streams to it
my friend's apple sees ROKU-NICK and streams to it

network VOFM-guest
my android phone sees ROKU-VOFM and streams to it
my friend's apple does NOT see ROKU-VOFM, in screen mirroring, to be able to stream to it
my friend's apple DOES SEE the CONFERENCE ROOM apple AirPlay in his list (a separate TCL tv, with an apple AirPlay attached)

network VOFM-Guest with ROKU-NICK
we then tested ROKU-NICK, on the VOFM-guest network
my android phone sees ROKU-NICK and streams to it
my friend's apple does NOT see ROKU-NICK, in screen mirroring, to be able to stream to it
my friend's apple DOES SEE the CONFERENCE ROOM apple AirPlay in his list (a separate TCL tv, with an apple AirPlay attached)

This is Bizarre. we have ROKU-VOFM hooked to an insignia TV, to HDMI #2.
ROKU-VOFM functions OK, when I stream to it with my android.
All the Apple AirPlay settings are correct (i've gone to google this about 10 times !!)
we are able to find the SCREEN MIRRORING function on the Apple iPhone, but when we are at VOFM, with EITHER of the ROKU stick+'s, that phone does not see the ROKU.

any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Screen Mirror , Apple iPhone not seeing ROKU streaming stick+

A few things:

Your Android is mirroring using Miracast - uses WiFi Direct (P2P mode) on Roku

His Apple is mirroring using AirPlay2 - uses Infrastructure (AP mode) on Roku

Guest WiFi networks generally have AP Isolation/Client Separation (or something very similar) settings that dont allow client devices to see/communicate with each other (through the AP) as a security/privacy measure.

Since your Android phone is using a P2P connection protocol (Miracast) to connect to the Rokus, it can sidestep any client isolation (it sees the Roku)

Since his Apple phone is using an AP connection protocol (AirPlay2) to connect to the Rokus, it cannot sidestep any client isolation (it doesnt see the Roku)

He'll (Apple phone) either need to use a non-Guest SSID, disable the "client protection" settings of the Guest SSID, or disconnect the Roku from any Guest SSID

(Since you are just mirroring to the Roku, try disconnecting it and/or the Apple phone from the Guest SSID and trying again - or have him turn his phone or yours into a Hotspot, tether the Roku(s) and phone to it, and try again)

0 Kudos
nick9579
Channel Surfer

Re: Screen Mirror , Apple iPhone not seeing ROKU streaming stick+

thanks very much !

re::

-(-----------He'll (Apple phone) either need to use a non-Guest SSID, disable the "client protection" settings of the Guest SSID, or disconnect the Roku from any Guest SSID)

if I DISCONNECT from the GUEST SSID, what would i connect it to?

I MAY BE able to get the network person to change client protection

re:

----------- (Since you are just mirroring to the Roku, try disconnecting it and/or the Apple phone from the Guest SSID and trying again - or have him turn his phone or yours into a Hotspot, tether the Roku(s) and phone to it, and try again)

I WILL TEST this out, i can make my ANDROID the hotspot, and my friend's APPLE phone can connect through that (my phone hotspot is already named the same as my home network so it will be easy

AGAIN, thanks very much !

0 Kudos