Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmnikodem

Roku wont start up, unresponsive to reboot/restore

My Roku looks like it is starting up, but eternally plays the boot video and nothing happens. I've tried the 10-sec reset and the 20-sec restore; the screen just goes blank and nothing happens. I unplug it, and the same issue.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RobynHurd
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku wont start up, unresponsive to reboot/restore

I am having the same issue. I've been on Chat. Didn't help. Done reset, Factory Reset even though signal was Excellent. Now it will not even connect to the Excellent strength. HELP

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Jmnikodem

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@RobynHurd

We're here to help!

Could you tell us specifically about the issue you're running into? Are you having problems connecting your device to the internet?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Jmnikodem

It is being powered by the included power adapter, plugged in to the wall.

The issue is it will not start up past the screen with the word "Roku" dancing. No software options are available.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@Appreciate the prompt response.

Please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself.

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RobynHurd
Reel Rookie

SN  SO2A20D6D6JK    Mike Hurd HELP!!~

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Jmnikodem wrote:

I've tried the 10-sec reset and the 20-sec restore

It's not booting up far enough to get to the Roku home screen so there is nothing you can do via the remote.

Don't know about "10-sec reset and the 20-sec restore". 

A restart can be accomplished by unplugging from electric power for a few seconds then plugging back in.

A complete factory restart (oops, the right term is reset) requires the reset button on the Roku to be depressed for a MINIMUM of 30 seconds, no matter what you see happening on the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@RobynHurd-

Yours is NOT the same problem as @Jmnikodem.  Your Roku is booting up and getting to the Roku home screen so that you can make menu choices and get to where it reports the wifi signal quality.  Your problem is that it will not then connect through wifi to the internet.

Your problem may have been caused by a recent update to your router that affects some Roku models. This has been reported lately with equipment from Comcast/Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others.

Affected users report their Roku locates the network and reports the connection strength but then fails to connect. The solution is to reconfigure the router to switch it from g/n wifi protocols as set by the update back to b/g/n.

If you don't have access to your router's control panel you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Step-by-step post from @AvsGunnar for Comcast/Xfinity users: https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Jmnikodem

I never used the remote, I was using the hardware reset button on the Roku.

I tried the 10 second reset and the 20 second recovery mode listed on the support site. I have not tried 30 seconds.

Seems like the 10th attempt did the trick.

0 Kudos