Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Golden678
Reel Rookie

Roku ultra player and directories

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Ultra.   I also have 5 external drives.

3 6tb my book 

1 tb toshiba

1 4 tb my passport

1 5 port usb powered hub

Now when i use the roku player it displays only 10 directories.  However , on each drive there is 10 directories on each drive. 

Is there anyway to be able to view all files and all directories?

John

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Roku ultra player and directories

Jump to solution

Roku's are primarily designed for Internet streaming. The Media player is rather basic and mainly designed for people to show pictures and movies from a single USB stick. If you want to get into complicated home network video, then look into a higher-end product designed for that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

No, VLC is not available for Roku. The VLC developers have stated that they can't use their standard programming language (C++) on Roku devices (which is true, Roku uses a non-standard programming language) and they aren't going to bother attempting to rewrite VLC to use it.

If someone wants to connect a drive with a great number of media files, a Roku really isn't the best player to use. But it would be far easier to instead install a DLNA server on an old computer, connect it to your network, and use Roku Media Player to play the media from the DLNA server. Assuming the media is all supported by Roku, then the computer needs very little power to run the DLNA server. Just connect all your media drives to that computer (either through USB or install the hard drives internally), add those folders to the DLNA server, and you can play everything through your Roku using RMP. A secondary advantage is that your media is now available on any device on your network that supports DLNA. Almost all of today's "Smart" TVs have that ability. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
cc123
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have been suffering issues with Roku Ultra Device. Like the 1st. one purchased in the last 45 days and still the device has tremendous software glitches. The first new device wasn't compatible with my smart tv. The 2nd one then immediately uploaded so much data into my TV then froze out further communication between TV and Ultra.

The Tech Support is very poor. Even in C/B from one of their actual Tech Engineers. For over two months all I got was to buy a new Device, again or it was my new TV which was bad adding that I had no idea tech-wise how to plug in my ethernet..

Give me a break Roku really getting old.

SALES SALES! I'm seeing one hand not knowing what other is actually doing

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku's are primarily designed for Internet streaming. The Media player is rather basic and mainly designed for people to show pictures and movies from a single USB stick. If you want to get into complicated home network video, then look into a higher-end product designed for that.

0 Kudos
Golden678
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Can i use vlc on roku?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

No, VLC is not available for Roku. The VLC developers have stated that they can't use their standard programming language (C++) on Roku devices (which is true, Roku uses a non-standard programming language) and they aren't going to bother attempting to rewrite VLC to use it.

If someone wants to connect a drive with a great number of media files, a Roku really isn't the best player to use. But it would be far easier to instead install a DLNA server on an old computer, connect it to your network, and use Roku Media Player to play the media from the DLNA server. Assuming the media is all supported by Roku, then the computer needs very little power to run the DLNA server. Just connect all your media drives to that computer (either through USB or install the hard drives internally), add those folders to the DLNA server, and you can play everything through your Roku using RMP. A secondary advantage is that your media is now available on any device on your network that supports DLNA. Almost all of today's "Smart" TVs have that ability. 

Dan

cc123
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

You're actually kidding me, right?

Assuming that I have no software / Data in place prior to my Roku Device, to carry Roku uploading.

POSH, lol

All I know right now is that however, Manufacturing distributes its Qs. (SKU#4802R), as to (SKU#4802RH)

and underwrite the warranty according to the manufacturer's distribution.

There has been a manufacturer copyright update in the software.

0 Kudos
Golden678
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a TV set with a second roku ultra box in my bedroom.   Can i use my wireless connection to play video files off my server with roku player?  Must i use cat 6 cable to wire it in?  John

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Golden678 as long as you are connected to the same network as your computer, and there’s no security enabled that block wireless devices from seeing other network devices, it doesn’t matter if your Roku is wired or wireless. To see your media on the computer, you must be using a DLNA server package. Windows has one by default, but it’s not very good. You can also use PLEX or EMBY, as they both have a channel/app for Roku devices. They are all available for free, although they do offer additional features for a cost. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Golden678
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I now have a plex server with my 6tb my book external drive and 1tb ssd drive external drive hooked to the back of upright computer with plex running on it ..  how do i get the DLNA to switch on?  Or is it lready on? 

Thanks in advance, 

John

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Plex does not enable DLNA by default. You have to go into the server settings and turn it on. However, you don't need it on to use the Plex channel on a Roku. In fact, the Plex channel is preferable to using the Roku Media Player channel, as it has a far better user interface.

There's really no advantage to using a DLNA player with Plex, with the exception of using Plex without an Internet connection. In that case, DLNA provides access to a Plex server in the event you don't have Internet access for some reason.

Dan

0 Kudos