Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbhall52
Channel Surfer

Roku software update issue

I was trying to watch something on the plex tv app tonight, 3-15-24, and the roku apparently needed to do a software update, because the device became unresponsive for several seconds and finally restarted on it's own. It would be most helpful if the device would display a message regarding the updating of software instead of leaving the user guessing as to what's really going on and wondering about their device.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku software update issue

@rbhall52-

I think it's more likely that your Plex app crashed on you and took the Roku down with it, causing the Roku to reboot.

Settings > System > Software update will show you the date and time your Roku last updated.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
rbhall52
Channel Surfer

I guess we will see if that makes any sense to the plex app people. I might contact them and ask the question. Does roku keep a record of it's restart times or it's crashes?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@rbhall52, all developers have access to crash logs for their apps, but they're not all that useful for tracing a single user's crash since they don't update in real time and don't include any kind of timestamp.  In my own apps' logs I've seen inexplicable crashes that I can only attribute to gremlins.  🙂

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos