Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku remote turns off TV, but not Roku Ultra

@keithadams

Thanks for the inquiry.

Roku devices are not meant to be powered off. The power button on the remote is intended for control the TV power. If you are done streaming and are going to turn off the TV with the remote, we always recommend pressing the Home button first so your Roku device will return to the Home screen and not continue streaming as pressing the power button on the remote will not stop or power down the Roku device.

For more information about powering down Roku devices, visit our Support page here: Can a player power on or off?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
keithadams
Binge Watcher

@RokuDanny-R 

Please re-read my posts, particularly the later ones. It's not about powering off the Roku. It never really was.

0 Kudos
keithadams
Binge Watcher

@RokuDanny-R

tl;dr:

I would like playback to stop when you hit the power button. My mother assumes her tv shows stop, because that's most intuitive, and is confused when she resumes her shows.

keithadams
Binge Watcher

@martinmarty wrote:

This is an amazing and surprising discussion. It seemed like a simple question.

I thought so as well. Part of the problem is a fixation on turning the device off, when implicitly (and now explicitly) it's been about playback continuing while the TV is off. I understand @Strega 's preference as well and I think an option in Settings would be fine.

Perhaps it's impossible given the hardware and hasn't been stated directly. Perhaps it's possible and Roku will never implement the option. If either were stated simply and explicitly, it would end the conversation and at least acknowledge what the actual issue is.

@martinmarty wrote:

I got a Roku Ultra two days ago. As a first-time Roku user, I expected the power button on the Roku remote to turn off the Roku which would implicitly stop playback.

I assumed the same and it took me a bit to realize things were still playing while my TV was off.

martinmarty
Reel Rookie

@keithadams 

I had the same thought about the hardware after considering it in the context of them retrofitting a "TV power" button onto a remote that presumably never had any power button and a device that was never intended to be powered down.

Incidentally, I have been using the Roku skill for Alexa and when I power back up after "Alexa turn off Roku" it is back at the Home screen with playback stopped where it was when the command was issued. Might be an idea for Mom. My mom has done better with Alexa than any prior computer interface just due to it being voice recognition. I can totally relate to the Mom issue. 😉

keithadams
Binge Watcher

@martinmarty wrote:

Incidentally, I have been using the Roku skill for Alexa and when I power back up after "Alexa turn off Roku" it is back at the Home screen with playback stopped where it was when the command was issued. Might be an idea for Mom. My mom has done better with Alexa than any prior computer interface just due to it being voice recognition. I can totally relate to the Mom issue. 😉

Very interesting. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
Bobcat06
Reel Rookie

My workaround for my TV in the basement is that I purchased a roku express 4K+.  I have it powered by the USB port on the TV.  In the TV settings I have it set to where when the TV is powered off that the USB port turns off.  So in other words when you hit the power button, the TV and roku both shut off.  So I’d recommend to step back to a product like the roku express, express 4K or roku stick etc that can be powered through the USB port on the TV so that when the tv powers off, the roku powers off.

That said, when we used a roku premiere(the older 2016 model), we just got in the habit of hitting the home button before powering off the TV.  It was an extra step but never an issue with the roku.  That 2016 roku premiere actually still does duty on a spare 19 inch tv in our kitchen for our dog.  It streams FuboTV all day when he’s home by himself just so he can hear people talk etc.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Bobcat06, keep in mind that a lot of TV's USB ports don't supply enough power for a Roku device and it may even work for a while and then cause all sorts of strange problems after a while.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Bobcat06
Reel Rookie

Point taken.  I’ve experienced that on some older sets.  In that case I’d recommend to just use the power adapter.  On my tcl and the vizio downstairs, so far no issues though.

0 Kudos
LMM1

I keep wondering the same. If I don't go to the home screen and power it off then power of the TV, it still streams  and all uses data. 

0 Kudos