Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitecloud2
Binge Watcher

Roku plus Series TV Not Connecting to Bluetooth headphones

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Plus Series TV and I have been trying to attach Bluetooth earphones to it, so I can look at TV movies and programs privately as to not disturb anyone.  I finally got the Avantree TWS116 wireless earphones for TV to connect to the internal Bluetooth, but I am not getting any sound in the earphones.  One thing I do not understand in the above post is why I would have to connect my laptop to my TV in order to look at a movie on my television.  I'm confused.  Is possible that someone could explain to me if Bluetooth is only for listening to music sounds and not TV movies or programs.  I purchased bluetooth earphones for TV because I thought I would be able to look at a movie in the late hours without disturbing anyone sleeping.  Can anyone please tell me if the Rokus Series PLus TV is capable of having earphones attached for looking at movies and hearing the sound coming come thru.  Also I have the Roku wireless sound and wireless speakers attached to the TV.  I had no problem connecting the soundbar, but with the speakers I did have to change the sound setting to Expanded Stero, it think, not looking at it at the moment, then had to change the sound setting to music in order to get sound coming out of the speakers.  My soundbar and speakers work find, but I cannot get any sound from the earphone.  Can anyone help with this?  Also I purchased Pocbuds, they also connect to the TV but no sound either.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku plus Series TV Not Connecting to Bluetooth headphones

Jump to solution

Hi @whitecloud2,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We value your inquiry and interest in learning more about using Bluetooth headphones on your Roku TV, and we will be glad to bring you the information you need. Please note that Bluetooth headphones can pair for Headphone Mode on a Roku Plus Series TV, which is what you are using. 

Use the steps below to pair your headphones:

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Remotes & Devices
  4. Select wireless headphones.
  5. Select Add new wireless headphones.
  6. Turn on your Bluetooth headphones and put them in pairing mode.
  7. Wait while your Roku device scans for Bluetooth headphones. This can take up to 30 seconds.
  8. Select your Bluetooth headphones from the list of available devices.

Once done, use the following steps to connect your headphones in the Settings menu:

3. Select Remotes & Devices.
  5. Select your headphones.
  6. Select Connect.

If you need help pairing your Bluetooth headphones, refer to the manufacturer's support site for instructions. You can also check out this support article on how to use Bluetooth headphones for Headphone Mode on your Roku Streaming device and how to fix Bluetooth audio issues for additional information.

Let us know how it goes, and please let us know if you have further queries, and we'll be glad to assist you.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                        Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @whitecloud2,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We value your inquiry and interest in learning more about using Bluetooth headphones on your Roku TV, and we will be glad to bring you the information you need. Please note that Bluetooth headphones can pair for Headphone Mode on a Roku Plus Series TV, which is what you are using. 

Use the steps below to pair your headphones:

3. Select Remotes & Devices
  5. Select Add new wireless headphones.
  6. Turn on your Bluetooth headphones and put them in pairing mode.
  7. Wait while your Roku device scans for Bluetooth headphones. This can take up to 30 seconds.
  8. Select your Bluetooth headphones from the list of available devices.

Once done, use the following steps to connect your headphones in the Settings menu:

3. Select Remotes & Devices.
  5. Select your headphones.
  6. Select Connect.

If you need help pairing your Bluetooth headphones, refer to the manufacturer's support site for instructions. You can also check out this support article on how to use Bluetooth headphones for Headphone Mode on your Roku Streaming device and how to fix Bluetooth audio issues for additional information.

Let us know how it goes, and please let us know if you have further queries, and we'll be glad to assist you.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                        Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
greginga
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem. I would bet that if whitecould2 was able to connect his sound bar he's already followed the basic instructions. That is my case anyway. I've already followed the directions. The TV goes through the process of searching for devices, then after the 30 second countdown it shows my headphones on the list of Bluetooth devices it found. When I select my headphones from the list it tries to connect then times out and and says it can not connect. I've tried many times, reset the headphones, did the "forget the device" and re-find it over and over still nothing. My headphones connect instantly to my Android phone. What reason could there be that they will not connect to the Roku Plus TV?

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @greginga

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for reaching out to us and sharing this information. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing some trouble with your Roku device's Bluetooth connectivity. We are here to help you with this issue in any way we can.

To troubleshoot the problem, we suggest that you follow these guided steps. First, ensure that your Bluetooth device is compatible with Roku and that it is turned on and in pairing mode. Also, ensure that your Roku device is updated to the latest software version. You can check for updates by going to Settings > System > System Update.

Additionally, you can refer to this support article for more information on How to resolve issues connecting a Bluetooth device to your Roku device.

If you have followed these steps and still cannot connect your Bluetooth device to your Roku, please do not hesitate to contact us again. We are always here to help you with any issues or concerns you may have.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
whitecloud2
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

You are absolutely correct, I pair the earbuds to the TV Bluetooth, they show up in the list, but when you hit connect, after thirty seconds, say can't find-try again.  I also get a screen that has a big Music symbol, like it was trying to connect to some kind of music.  This is why I keep asking if this Bluetooth 2.0.6 on the Roku Plus Series will only connect to music.  No one at Roku has answered that question yet.  Then I won't keep wasting my time buying and trying different earbuds, thinking the earbuds have the problem.  I have tried 3 different brand of earbuds and I get the same outcome.  How do the earbuds pair to the TV, then they cannot be found.  Can anyone at Roku explain that?  I keep thinking the reason is, because my Bluetooth shows version 2.0.6 and any device 5.0 or higher will only connect with version 4.0 or higher.   If the Bluetooh version is what is causing the problem, then I can never connect a bluetooth device to this TV or any of my Roku TVs that are version 2.

I would thank anyone for their help at Roku that can explain that, so I can stop wasting my time and money.  Also I'm waiting for another bluetooth transmitter to be delivered, because the first one would not work connected to any of the TV ports.

0 Kudos
whitecloud2
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Dear Roku,

This is to let you know that I do not attach anything to my TVs without first downloading your instructions or knowing the instructions for the device I am trying to connect.  Let's be truthful, your Roku Plus Series TV has a definite flaw in it and so far Roku has refused to admitted.  It would be one thing if it was just happening with my TV, but I see another person is having the same problem so are both of us too stupid to follow directions?  I am upset with Roku because I keep telling you what is happening and also another person is telling you, and you keep telling us to follow the directions.  I am sure Roku has checked out what we are telling you is happening and you just don't want to outrightly admit that you cannot pair anything buetooth device to the Roku Plus Series TV and get it to connect.  When it comes to pairing a Blue Toothe device to the Roku Plus Series TV, the TV is a lemon and I am sorry to have to say that because I do love my Roku TVs, but I do not love this one or my 43" Select one because they are both lemons.  

We have told you the problem, and I want to know whether or not you can create some kind of patch to update this problem and download it into the TV to correct the problem and stop telling us to read instructions.  The earbuds pair to the TV and they show up on the TV, the problem is when you click on connect, they search for 30 seconds and comeback saying they cannot find it, so it is not our problem it is Roku's problem, your customer did not made your TVs, so stop blaming us and trying to make it look like we do not know what we our doing.  Just admit, your Plus Series and Select TVs have a bluetooth flaw that you cannot correct.  Try being truth with your customers, we can understand the truth when you tell it to us we cannot do anything but accept the truth, so try telling it for a change and stop wasting our time trying to connect something that apparently is not going to happen unless Roku has some kind of fix.  I have had enough.

0 Kudos
whitecloud2
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I forgot to say that I did send the first bluetoothe transmitter back and purchased the Avantree Transmitter that was supposed to work with the Avantree buds.  I tried to connect it to the TV but it would not connect in any of the ports just like the other transmitter.  The transmitter turns on when you put it in a USB port to charge it, but it will not turn on connected to any port on the TV.  So I still cannot pair any bluetooth device to my TV or a bluetooth transmitter.

Also, I connected all three pair of earbud/earphone that I purchased to my laptop to see if they worked, they connected immediately and I did not have to do anything but put them in pairing mode.  So nothing is wrong with the earbuds.

0 Kudos
whitecloud2
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Just want to let anyone interested to know that I got the Avantree Oasis Bluetooth Transmitter to finally work.  The instructions in the box was not quite the same as the instructions on their website for an earlier edition the the Oasis.  I followed the instructions for that edition and now I have sound coming through my Avantree earphones.  The sound is not as high as I would like, but I have different audio settings on my TV because my speakers required different settings than my soundbar.  So I have what I wanted, earbuds connected to my TV so I can do private listening on my TV without disturbing anyone in the late hours of a day, but Roku still needs to look into correcting the problem, because we should not have to spend $76.00 to buy a transmitter in order to connect Bluetooth devices to our TV.

0 Kudos
Soaltraveler
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have to restart tv from the settings (restart tv) every time I want to connect my already saved BT headphones on Roku Plus tv. I have 2 and need to do this on both but it works for me when I want to use them. Restart from system menu power settings once on I turn my phones on an they connect.  Hope this helps some users.

0 Kudos
hikersc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I also have this same problem with my new 55" plus Series TV. I am using Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones. They will appear to pair but will not connect unless I restart the TV from the settings menu. Please fix.

0 Kudos