Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HCDM

Roku express overheating on 3900EU help

I have the Roku express 3900EU and the overheating warning flashed up. I have read a few questions and none seem to have an answer.  Can anyone help?

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Roku express overheating on 3900EU help

No ideas apart from obvious ones (move away from heat sources, e.g. don't place on top of TV).

I think recent Roku updates are causing processors to work harder on average, leading to heating issues. Making the devices small and cheap also means that heat dissipation may have been skimped or only just enough.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @HCDM

Thanks for the post.

We'd recommend starting with the suggestions available in this Support link: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning? If the issue persists, please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be viewed in Settings > System > About

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
nclark

I just received my Roku Express 4K+ yesterday (Monday, December 27). The setup went smoothly, and it's working fine - except that it's running very hot. I have it on my TV stand to the left and in front of the TV. I didn't see any message onscreen about the unit overheating, but when I touched it, it was too hot to pick up! I powered it down before going to bed last night. When I got up this morning, it was still very hot. I immediately unplugged it. I'm now afraid to use it and definitely won't leave it plugged in overnight or when I leave the house. This thing could cause a fire. I am very disappointed with this situation, especially since so many people have had overheating issues. Why hasn't the company corrected this problem?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @nclark

We're here to help!

Please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found by navigating to Settings > System > About. Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos