Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
o2night
Streaming Star

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

That 30-day opt out can be contested.  Everyone affected can file a complaint and they will be forced to give you immediate remedy and opt out, not a run and send us a letter kind of opt out.  They're hoping you'll get busy and forget or not want to go through the trouble.

0 Kudos
techfan
Streaming Star

>> I am reaching out to FCC

You'd be better served filing a complaint with the FTC. They are responsible for enforcing consumer protection and trade laws. Your state's A General is also a good resource. In this forum, I can't use the "A word" which is a synonym for counsel (as in General Counsel).

That said, the FCC is a fun idea as well. They have some minimal enforcement role with regard to broadcast content. Technically, this pop-up might interfere with the Emergency Alert System that broadcasts to your TV. This is against the law. Enforcing this law, also falls under the FCC's purview.

Ec59

What did you choose as the problem for the FCC site? 

0 Kudos
earthur311

Re: Update to Dispute Resolution. anyone seen this on their TV?

I opened a chat about this yesterday.  No one there knew what I was talking about, even with a photo of my TV screen with paragraph 1(L) showing.  The rep said he was going to transfer me to someone else and then the screen stayed unchanged for over two hours.  I closed it.  I also sent a message on the Roku Facebook page and she did not know what I was talking about either.  My interpretation of the notice is that even if you hit the "agree" button to clear it you still have 30 days to send a snail mail letter under paragraph 1(L) to notify them you are opting out of the alternative dispute resolution.  This is what we called a contract of adhesion in law school and they are often unenforceable when challenged in court because the other party has no choice but to agree to it. Roku is using duress on its customers by cutting off their access to the programming they have already paid for unless they agree to this alternative method.

o2night
Streaming Star

I had already written to the FCC a couple weeks ago on another programming problem with Google.  They wrote back stating the FTC would better serve. (not sure if they were just passing the buck or not) 
But the programming wasn't about the television problem.  It was on Google themselves and some news which was being hijacked with Chinese paper folding, crocheting and Chinese cooking, disrupting the programming.

I also contacted the news station as well as ROKU and got nothing in return.

techfan
Streaming Star

>> What did you choose as the problem for the FCC site? 

"TV Service Issues"

Specifically, it is preventing me from having access to my TV. On the TCL TV with built-in Roku, it blocks ANY TV viewing. Additionally, I suspect (although cannot prove) it might block EAS (Emergency Alert System) broadcasts.

These would both be less less successful claims with the separate Roku streaming devices.

The better claims (for both built-in and separate devices) are with the FTC which enforces consumer protection laws.

Musiclover1
Binge Watcher

It looks like my TV won’t let me proceed unless I click to agree on the updated terms. But I don’t want to agree when I have to waive the right to a class action. 🤷‍♀️

Musiclover1
Binge Watcher

I just filed a complaint with FTC

Musiclover1
Binge Watcher

@techfan So if I hit ‘agree’ (so I can actually watch TV) but I do not agree to these terms I need to send them a physical letter stating that? I absolutely would want to be able to participate in a class action 

Maribeo60
Reel Rookie

Joebios01, do you mind to share an example of the opt out letter , of course without your personal information. I don’t want to press the Roku “agree button “ I think it looks abusive . The “technological “at home was my husband and because it is an important letter to write I don’t want to make mistakes ( due to my lack of proficiency in English).  
Thank you anyway 

0 Kudos