Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mellcomm
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

I will never buy another Hisense, JVC or any television that uses roku.  I agreed to whatever was on there when I bought them - now they make both my televisions trash if i don't click agree. I am sure we'll see some legal action on this eventually.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Dispute Resolution Terms Blocking Access to TV Functionalities

I was able to use my Ultra just fine after pressing Home several times to clear the message. Yes, the message will return, but it has NOT blocked using the Roku. I watched something for an hour on Disney+ without a problem. 

I think this was a poor way for Roku to push this out to the users. But as others have already stated, the agreement Roku is presenting does not really differ from what any other provider has. I believe Roku should have presented this via email, not directly on the screen of the device. My guess is some law-yer determined this was the best way, which we can all agree is not the case. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
TonyaG

I am in tears right now work 50 hours a week.  Only day to unwind and now I can’t even watch television.  I disagree.  I am reaching out to FCC and Walmart just wrong. 

budbud
Reel Rookie

The "agree" button was accidentally pressed, and i want to opt out. Did I pretty much miss my chance?

0 Kudos
techfan
Streaming Star

Re: Dispute Resolution Terms Blocking Access to TV Functionalities

I previously read that hitting the home button would escape it. So, I mashed that button a bunch of times first...with no apparent result.

Then, I RAPIDLY and repeatedly hit the back button. I'm not certain of the exact count at which it finally responded. I noticed it at around around 10 times. At that point, it seemed confused. It asked me if I wanted to report some sort of random bug/issue. This is when I was able to escape by declining to report the issue.

Not sure if it matters, mine is a TCL TV with the built-in Roku.

I have a second TCL TV that hasn't received the "ransom" demand yet. If/when it does, I'll try reproducing the behavior in a more controlled fashion. If I'm successful, I'll respond with more details.

Mellcomm
Reel Rookie

Re: Update to Dispute Resolution. anyone seen this on their TV?

Yes, it's real BS!   I called my 2 roku tv manufacturers this morning and let them know I will never buy another roku television from them. The only agreement i ever agreed to was when i bought them, and now the tv's i bought are useless if i don't accept.

It is really about coercion- when i called roku support, he said I must click agree or it will no longer work. After 30 minutes arguing and asking for his supervisor, he told me to unplug everything from the tv, wait 10 seconds, plug everything back in and power up.  Now it works as it should. This tech guy knew this all along, but the roku company told them to string their customers along until the end.

Some way to treat your customers!

Mellcomm
Reel Rookie

Re: Update to Dispute Resolution. anyone seen this on their TV?

It is really about coercion- when i called roku support, he said I must click agree or it will no longer work. After 30 minutes arguing and asking for his supervisor, he told me to unplug everything from the tv, wait 10 seconds, plug everything back in and power up.  Now it works as it should. This tech guy knew this all along, but the roku company told them to string their customers along until the end.

Some way to treat your customers!

techfan
Streaming Star

The "agree" button was accidentally pressed, and i want to opt out. Did I pretty much miss my chance?

No, but you have to act quickly by snail-mail, within 30 days, If you wade through the following contract to nearly the end:

https://docs.roku.com/published/disputeresolution/en/us

You'll find this clause. You need to follow the directions and mail them the exact "ransom" they demand 😀

L. 30-Day Right to Opt Out. You have the right to opt out of arbitration by sending written notice of your decision to opt out to the following address by mail: General Counsel, Roku Inc., 1701 Junction Court, Suite 100, San Jose, CA 95112 within 30 days of you first becoming subject to these Dispute Resolution Terms. Such notice must include the name of each person opting out and contact information for each such person, the specific product models, software, or services used that are at issue, the email address that you used to set up your Roku account (if you have one), and, if applicable, a copy of your purchase receipt. For clarity, opt-out notices submitted via any method other than mail (including email) will not be effective. If you send timely written notice containing the required information in accordance with this Section 1(L), then neither party will be required to arbitrate the Claims between them.

This move hasn't done their stock price any favors. It's lost over 27% of it's value since February 15th. And that's pretty much just them. The market sector they're in is slightly up at .4%. The S&P 500 is up 3.85%. All of this comes from Yahoo Financial News. Not giving any financial advice here, just noticing. Roku is threatening to "brick" your Roku device. It looks like Roku may be "bricking" their company.

Before that message popped up on my screen today, I still had a positive image of Roku. Not so much anymore. And after reading some of those terms in their updated agreement, even less. I don't think people like what they're doing with this forced agreement. Nobody likes to be forced to do anything. I agreed to it, as I'm sure most people will, but it's really a bad way they went about it.

We also have an Amazon Fire stick that has been a lot more reliable lately on apps like Paramount+ and YouTube. We were just about to upgrade our 3 Roku devices with new ones, but now I have to think about it. Maybe we'll upgrade with Amazon FIre sticks instead. They include Alexa.

I don't know what has happened to that fun company we called Roku that brought us so many cool things via streaming. I guess that company is gone.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/roku-roku-stock-slides-market-224517851.html

o2night
Streaming Star

None of them can legally remove the functionality of the television.
As I said earlier, THEY ABSOLUTELY BY LAW, must give you a choice to OPT OUT of updates of terms, and I did not get one.  It should have been on the same screen and location as the "agree button" was. These updates are not for bettering your experience, but for protecting themselves from litigation.  They all want to free from responsibility when something goes wrong.  They can update their terms any time they want, but they MUST give the consumer a choice to accept or decline.  

There are several outlets you can contact in this situation. Some will get back to you quickly.  Others will take a while.  Aside from what JoeBlos01 (thank you) has posted as an example letter to ROKU, you can submit online complaints at the Better Business Bureau, the FTC and/or the FCC.

Before giving up on the television working at all though, try playing with the remote buttons (back arrow finally worked for me).  It's possible you may be able to get back to programming.