Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
techfan
Streaming Star

Re: Roku disables player with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

This pop-up/contract reminds me of a less funny version of the old National Lampoon joke ("If You Don't Buy This Magazine, We'll Kill This Dog"):

https://www.sevendaysvt.com/news/who-shot-mr-cheeseface-the-vermont-demise-of-a-famous-mutt-23671435

Suez

Yes!  It is disturbing that a Roku is blackmailing a buyer, in such a perversion of travesty after purchasing their product which they have a right to use. Reverting to constraint, of use.

This method of coercion is repulsive, abhorrent  and detestable.  I will never purchase, will boycott  any line, sub branding, multi product  branding of all and an related products associated with Roku!

Warning: Don't  waste  your hard  earned  money  on a product company that has no regard, lack of respect, credibility, and responsibility of their merchandise, for their loyal  trusting costumers.

Lowering their standards and reputation, at the cost & expense of their consumers. 

joebios01
Streaming Star

Even if you accepted ROKU's GARBAGE terms to JAILBREAK your device held hostage, you have 30-days (by mail) to let ROKU know you object to their poor support and sleazy business practices.

Here is a sample letter:

Disgruntled Customer
123 Everywhere St.
My_City, My_State 00000

March 2, 2024

General Counsel, Roku Inc.
1701 Junction Court, Suite 100
San Jose, CA 95112

Subject: Dispute Resolution Terms – Opt Out

Sirs,

Per Section 1(L) 30-Day Right to Opt out, I exercise my opt-out right

Requesting Party

Disgruntled Customer
123 Everywhere St.
My_City, My_State 00000

Roku Account

disgruntled@yahoo.com

Roku Devices

Roku 2 4210X SN: 4A755Dxxxxxx               (See: Settings>System>About)
Roku Streaming Stick 3800X SN: YF00AXxxxxxx
Roku Premier 3920R SN: K420DFxxxxxx

Roku Software

Roku OS (current and future versions)
Roku Firmware (current and future versions)
Roku App Store Apps (all prior, current and future offerings, all versions)

BR,

<Sign Here>

Disgruntled Customer

Mailing Label

General Counsel, Roku Inc.
1701 Junction Court, Suite 100
San Jose, CA 95112

abeNdorg

I wonder if TCL & all the other TV vendors using RokuOS knew about this or agreed to it? Surely TCL didn't agree to this "lets turn our TVs into ewaste & encourage people to never buy our brand again" agreement?
dennix55

Re: Update to Dispute Resolution. anyone seen this on their TV?

helllpppp[.

dennix55

Re: Update to Dispute Resolution. anyone seen this on their TV?

Can anyone give a fix for the agreement overflow on the screen?. .

0 Kudos
Mystar356

Yes this is Bad Business

This is pretty much telling us to agree with these new Dispute Resolution terms, or WE CAN NO LONGER USE THEIR SERVICES.

A SVC THAT WE ALREADY PAID FOR

WHILE THEY SEEM 2B TRADING TO FIX AN ISSUE, THEY’VE MANAGED TO ACQUIRE A MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM.

ULTIMATELY WE AS A PPL SHLD HAVE THE RIGHT TO AGREE OR NOT AGREE ( OPT OUT ) & THAT’S NOT AN OPTION

IT’S EITHER AGREE WITH ROKU OR BE WITHOUT TELEVISION

zqmjadlzfltqdnp
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku wants access to my USB

And now you're bricking Roku TV's unless people agree to the Dispute Resolution Terms? 

Mamatrishness
Reel Rookie

Re: Dispute Resolution Terms Blocking Access to TV Functionalities

THANK YOU for so eloquently stating the facts of the situation and for helping me to feel like I'm not crazy in seeing this as borderline illegal (apologies if i misunderstand things, but there are NUMEROUS rights we have, as consumers, that make this all sorts of wrong, correct?).

But what can we, the basic consumer, even do to ensure we're not being screwed WHILE ALSO not losing the ability to utilize our televisions we've owned for years???

Being so seemingly illegal: if we, the consumer, agreed -simply to have the ability to use our paid for TV- even tho we DON'T agree... What would that do to our rights in this situation?

You mentioned there's some 30 Day Opt-Out option somewhere, somehow?? I find it disturbingly interesting that that information is not included with this already sketchy "agree or else" situation. 

With all of that said, what can the basic consumer even do -in this situation- to be able to watch our TVs & yet still NOT lose the right to a jury, if we feel it necessary??

I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding this and again, & emphatically, thank you for this post & for helping my anxiety to level out in this situation. Truly, thank you.

I look very forward to your response & i hope you're having a great day (aside from this frustration). ALSO, please update if you ever finally hear back from Roku general counsel. 

Respectfully,

Trish Andrews

Mamatrishness
Reel Rookie

Re: Dispute Resolution Terms Blocking Access to TV Functionalities

Do you recall what the other buttons were, that you pressed before the back arrow (the couple times)??

Cuz just the back arrow, alone, isn't doing anything🙁.

Any help would be appreciated..

Also, are you sure it's not related to your FTC filing? And perhaps it just coincidentally occurred at the same time??

Hopefully you'll get a chance to respond soon. Thanks for your post and advice, greatly appreciated!

Respectfully,

Trish

0 Kudos