Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crudeandbitter
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku disables players and TVs with attempt to coerce arbitration agreement

1000010515.jpgWhen I first saw this message on my TV screen, I did read the terms, but I NEVER pressed "Agree" at all. In fact, I wrote and mailed the letter to opt-out of arbitration to get rid of this message the next-day on March 7. I also went back to my old dumb TV. I waited for weeks and now, the due date passed and it's still on all of my screens. Will someone tell me what is the problem?!!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

You still have to accept on screen. If you sent in an opt out letter you’re covered. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TrashTV
Binge Watcher

So recently Roku has released an update where they are forcing you to arbitrate with them because they are terrified of being sued over the 15,000 accounts that were hacked and they're private information stolen from them and lately there has been no way I could find that would stop them because there was only two buttons available to press agree and the star button so you could read their manifesto of you will not be able to sue us in case your information gets stolen from us or we are going to brick your TV. So all you have to do is factory reset your TV put yourself into for store use mode, just go on the internet long enough to start the Roku setup because of course you couldn't use your TV otherwise if you lived in the boonies and had no internet so you be stuck in the setup menu the entire time. It's going to ask you to set up an account you can actually ignore this and exit out and be able to use the console that you wanted to use and then just enter going from the internet from your console and you don't have to worry about your TV then trying to force you into arbitration 

I don't use my TV anymore except to use my Xbox which I am now using to stream everything from.

atc98092

@TrashTV @The requirement for arbitration has been part of the terms of use for years. It’s not a new requirement. 

Dan

0 Kudos
karbonb

I'm not sure if this will help, but because I'm in Canada, I guess I didn't get the resolution agreement message to even agree or disagree with. However I had bought my Rokus while living for a short time in the USA which seems to have complicated things. After the latest OS update early March, all of them started being wonky. The Roku channel wouldn't show anything, I couldn't add or remove any channels, in fact the streaming channel part itself wouldn't load at all, and I couldn't change any settings. The existing channels other than the Roku channel would load (though streaming was iffy), and the Prime channel in particular would take ten minutes to load, then it wouldn't show any subtitles and the streaming was really stuttering, especially with a wireless connection, despite solid high speed internet. I was going to try and contact Roku about it (though their "support" section, other than the discussions seems to be non existent), then I read something about unplugging your router, so I thought I'd give that a try, and it fixed everything! I had to do it twice, leaving it unplugged 30 minutes each time. The first time I did it, I got the Roku channel, the channel store, etc, back, and the second time six or seven hours later, the streaming speed picked up to what it should be. I don't know why this fixed things as I hadn't changed anything in the router department prior to the latest update, and I didn't have any problems with computers or mobile devices, but I'm happy it did. I had spent almost a week, troubleshooting and reading, almost tearing my hair out, trying to figure out how to fix this. Thought I was going to have to buy Firestick, though I've been a loyal Roku customer since 2011. Maybe it only worked because I'm in Canada, but it's worth a try. Good luck.

0 Kudos
fladude
Streaming Star

Just my opinion but as its a forced agree to un-brick something one Owns..especially a TV, its ones property not Rokus...  otherwise Roku should be obligated to lifetime repair/replace whats a "rental" then instead of bought property. It is bought property
no longer Rokus owned, agreeing to restore ones rightful use of their property cannot be held as an actual agreement.

Even more its unprovable WHO clicks agree.

The actual owner? A guest in house?  a minor child wanting to see their tv program so clicks to get it working?  

Click agree, you sent in opt out, clicking is not binding as agree.  Even without opt out, clicking agree to unbrick isn't necessary an enforceable agreeing ...Roku cannot prove  who clicked it.  As I said a 8 year old wanting watch disney channel would  just click it to get to their watching Tv...  

WendyBird

My sets went down Sunday, March 24. I was never sent an email. There are additional small print terms to disagreeing by mail which includes including copies of your receipts for each Roku item.  I suggest everyone do as I have. File a complaint with FTC. They are taking complaints as is the SEC since Roku is publicly traded. Your state AG as well as your state  Consumer Complaint office. And, the FBI Cyber Crimes Division. The FBI is taking this seriously as a Cyber Crime and an actual Malware attack of extortion by shutting down our personally owned devices we ith no legal right to. I am also filing complaints in the state of California since this is the origination of the disconnect. I'm not sure I could ever trust Roku at this point. I have bought a Amazon Fire Stick and thankfully still had my old tvs. 

Lynise66
Reel Rookie

Re: Dispute terms resolution update

Roku I believe forced customers to agree not to sue them because I think it has to do with the Roku Data Breach affecting 15,000 customers. This just recently happened in March. They will be mailing letters out this month April I understand. 

atc98092

Re: Dispute terms resolution update

@Lynise66 wrote:

Roku I believe forced customers to agree not to sue them because I think it has to do with the Roku Data Breach affecting 15,000 customers. This just recently happened in March. 

Again, the requirement to use binding arbitration has been in the Roku terms of use for years. It is not something that was new in this latest update. It had nothing to do with the data breech. Roku just chose a very poor way to advise their users of the update. 

Dan

0 Kudos
winner15

disagree with all of it

0 Kudos