Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dgbrew24
Reel Rookie

Roku device isn't updating past OS 9

This was one of the original problem 55s20 TCL TV where it would not updated. I used the multi.rokuapptoken.bin usb successfully back last November. Currently wanted to update to 10.5 from 9.4 since apps were asking. Gave same 008 error when trying to update. Did a factory reset which was a big mistake because the original token.bin is not working now… so no roku function at all.  Is it possible to get a new multi.rokuapptoken.bin file to get it up to 10.5? Or just back working on 9.4?
Thanks

20 REPLIES 20
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Error 008 back on TCL Roku TV trying to get to software 10.5 from 9.4

Did you try to download an update from https://tvupdate.roku.com ?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Dgbrew24
Reel Rookie

Re: Error 008 back on TCL Roku TV trying to get to software 10.5 from 9.4

Yes, it made it all the way to entering the last 5 digit code, and then would say update fail.

0 Kudos
Maknyc
Reel Rookie

Roku doesn’t (ever) update stuck on OS 9.1.1

I have a Roku Express 3930X.  The software version is 9.1.1 build 4200 AE.  I believe this is the version installed upon initial setup.  Forcing system updates doesn’t even attempt to update the core software….it only tries to update The Roku Channel & A&E apps…every time.  I get no error messages.  Multiple other channel apps won’t even open…they just crash.  Have done hard resets, but that doesn’t seem to solve the issue.  Wi-Fi connectivity is not an issue…speed and availability is present.  I am guessing I have corrupt operating system software installed?  And it doesn’t appear there is any way to force a reinstall of this software?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku doesn’t (ever) update

Have you tried a factory reset from Settings->System->Advanced system settings?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Maknyc @Dgbrew24 

Thanks for the post.

We would now recommend checking for a manual update on your Roku device through:

Settings > System > System update > Check now

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Dgbrew24
Reel Rookie

Still the same issue on my side. Error 008 “temporary firmware server issue.” It always tells me there is an update available, but immediately pops up error 008.

0 Kudos
Maknyc
Reel Rookie

Ummm.  I have been doing this since owning the unit for over a year and to no avail.  Now however my software version is 10.5.0, build 4201.   And my Home Screen has changed a little bit.  Apparently you have special Roku powers (or work for the company) and we’re able to force thru an update?  Whether luck or skill…thank you.

0 Kudos
Dgbrew24
Reel Rookie

All good now. Updated today, no more error 008.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Hihippy

Be grateful you could have v10.5 which is designed to make you go out and buy something else.

0 Kudos