Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanUK
Binge Watcher

Roku Update seems to have broken use of Remote Control

Jump to solution

I turned on my TV, Roku device display a message saying it was installing final updates, these seem to have bricked my Roku.

I did not know it was installing an update, as usual Roku gives ZERO consideration to users in the timing of these things nor does it allow users to lock further updates so we can have a stable platform and update manually.  No it appears we are all in an alpha test program and unpaid at that.

I use two Roku 4k devices, both 4k devices, both are set to use both remotes.  I have some older ones too but the remotes are not compatible.

So I turned on the TV in one room and got the message but once it had finished my remote did not work on the newly updated Roku,  I can't tell you what version it updated to because I can't do anything on the Roku except turn my TV off.  

First I tried to power off and on again - same result

Then I removed the battery cover and pressed the pairing button - no difference and did not respond to pairing.

Then I powered off and on again as this used to sometimes get device to reconnect - it didn't,

Then I tried the remote on my other TV,  It paired and worked fine, it worked it both remotes.  2nd TV has not been updated (yet) and last update was months ago although last check was yesterday.

I then tried to get the remote from the 2nd TV to work on the Roku attached to the first TV, same thing, I repeated the above tests, nothing worked.

So now my Roku 4k cannot be controlled by either remote, it is stuck at the main menu and can't be used.

I am loath to do a factory reset as my device has a lot of settings and apps that I do not want to have to change.  I do not even know if there is such a thing as a factory reset that can be operated without a remote.  I need a firmware reset.

After the other problems  I have highlighted in other posts this may be the last straw for me with Roku.

Does anyone know some magic way to make the Roku work?

Can Roku rollback the update?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Update seems to have broken use of Remote Control

Jump to solution

Not that it necessarily matters in this case, but when discussing Roku devices model numbers are always better than names since Roku uses the same names over and over on models with different capabilities (and there's no model called simply "4k").

When pairing remotes I've had issues where it will pair with another device nearby instead of the desired device, so try unplugging the power from any other Roku devices you have while attempting to pair the remote.  My preferred method is to connect the power once I've put the remote into pairing mode and set it down next to the device I'm trying to pair it with.

Assuming the device is still connected to your network, you could also try using the mobile app as a remote to kick off the pairing process from the Settings menu.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
renojim

Jump to solution

Not that it necessarily matters in this case, but when discussing Roku devices model numbers are always better than names since Roku uses the same names over and over on models with different capabilities (and there's no model called simply "4k").

When pairing remotes I've had issues where it will pair with another device nearby instead of the desired device, so try unplugging the power from any other Roku devices you have while attempting to pair the remote.  My preferred method is to connect the power once I've put the remote into pairing mode and set it down next to the device I'm trying to pair it with.

Assuming the device is still connected to your network, you could also try using the mobile app as a remote to kick off the pairing process from the Settings menu.

DanUK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply, I will have to check the models, all i know is one has short wire while other has longer wire, one is Mini USB and other is Micro USB.  Both HDMI sticks.

So I already had turned off the other TV and removed working Roku from TV and removed batteries from Remote. 

I have tested both remotes on the working Roku and they both work so it is not an issue with the remotes.

I also downloaded several different Roku Apps that can control remote, none of them find the Roku even when I give the exact IP address of the device.

It is clear to me now that the Roku has been bricked by the update, it will power up load the Apps which appear to load twice.  I have tried connecting all the remotes I have, none connect to the Roku that was damaged by the Roku update.

It all started when I turned on the TV and saw the message saying it was "Installing Final Updates".

Brick updateBrick update

I think this is the newer device so I am seriously P'ed off with Roku.

I have a remote that is not fit for purpose and a Roku that has been bricked, there is enough anecdotal evidence to show that Roku has serious manufacturing defects.

I have no idea how to fix a Roku Streaming Stick 4k that has been bricked by an update I did not ask for, did not need and do not want.  It is a serious flaw to not have a button that can roll back.  I can't do anything on the device as it won't allow any kind of device to access it.  I see it on my router but I have no way of know if and when it will try to install new firmware that works.

The Roke secret menus all need a remote so I am stuffed there. What a waste of money buying this Roku device, it is fine when they work but it could happen to any user any day. 

DanUK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

A small but pathetic hope for the unbricking of my Roku 4k Streaming Stick.

It still won't connect with a remote BUT it is getting ads, so it must have some sort of network connection.

Does anyone know a way this device can be hacked or side loaded before I video a ritual club hammer smashing of the device for YouTUbe to want potential customers to steer clear of Roku?

0 Kudos
DanUK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

A further update

I still can't get the Roku 4k Streaming Stick 3810X to respond to remote controls seeking to pair.

Usually the method is to get green button flashing by holding the button in the battery compartment for 5 seconds and booting up the Roku, the pairing would then happen automatically.  

The remotes have been tested on a different Roku and pair with no problem.

I have made some progress on the App side by changing the settings on my Router, I used the mac address of the dead Roku Streaming Stick 3810X and set a static IP for it and I set the router to NOT isolate wi-fi clients.  Isolating clients is a security measure.

This enabled me to find the dead Roku Streaming Stick 3810X, I was able to confirm an update happened yesterday, which was version 13 build 24028.  I checked but it says this is up to date.

I also investigated the remotes, it still had the two voice remotes that I previously connected to it and that worked before the update.  I drilled down those voice remotes and it said they were asleep, but it would not respond to them.

So I manually used the mobile app to delete the existing voice remotes and used mobile app to manually pair, this got my remote paired, but it still does not respond to pairing on boot (the usual way if you have no remote).

I was also able to add an old gaming remote although it will not control the TV.  

The Roku 4k Streaming Stick 3810X is still damaged by the firmware, it will not pair with remotes in the usual way.  I guess I will have to wait for a new update to see if they fix this damage.

Whilst I have this working for the moment it is not fully operational, so I do not want to close this thread until Roku fixes this.  I will put further progress in this thread. 

I have reset my router to isolate clients as this is my preferred security state.

0 Kudos
GdubbsUS
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm going to agree with you on this DanUK. I have a 40" ROKU TV and after the 4/17/24 update the headphone jack no longer functions. Naturally my first thought was that it could be the headphones so I grabbed a brand new pair of headphones that were sitting in the drawer from one of my former iPhones, still no joy still ~ no sound. I checked the "about" information under the Voice Remote Pro and found that it thinks that the last time the remote was used was .... guess what date? 4/17/2024. Coincidence? I think not. So, all other functions were working fine on the remote. Then I decided to forget the device under paired remotes and add it back in  to possibly provoke a fix and surprise.... no joy there either ~ will not reinitiate a pair to the TV. So, $29.95 bricked remote. Thank you ROKU! You guys need to do another release and fix the issue.

DanUK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks GDubbsUS for confirming my sanity.  

What seriously P's me off is that Roku uses it's customers as guinea pigs with not even alpha level testing.  I would be one thing if they asked for a bunch of volunteers to participate in testing but no, screw equipment WE PAID FOR and leave us without use for days or weeks at a time.

I wonder if it was a firmware update that prevents the remote from my old Roku from controlling my TV.

I imagine their wrote bloated code and deleted features like your headphone support.

The level of Roku arrogance is palpable.

0 Kudos
DanUK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

How does someone ELSE get to accept a solution, this issue has NOT been solved.

The Roku Firmware update crippled my Roku Device

0 Kudos
DanUK
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

TO be clear RokuBernie-D has not provided a solution, I do not know why this forum is configured to allow this.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

They really shouldn't use the term "solved".  "Closed" might be better indicating there is no solution or they've said all that they will/can say about it.  Only the creator of the thread or a moderator can mark a post as the "solution" and moderators are much too quick to do so.  Sometimes I think moderators have some kind of quota they need to meet. 🙄

0 Kudos