Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danieldialatone
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra's Custom Screensaver function no longer works after android app update?

This morning I realized that the Roku aquatic screen saver is running on my television even though I had already have been using my custom screen saver which I used the android app on my phone to select specific photos. 

I go to the app to look for the screensaver option to try to reload the photos but that screen saver option on the android app is no longer there.

I do remember letting my phone do a bunch of app updates last night and I have a feeling the Roku app on my android phone also got updated and that is when this happened?

I have a feeling there is a connection between that function in the app disappearing and the actual custom screensaver option also disappearing off of the actual Roku device itself?  🧐

I hope somebody from the Roku company is monitoring this issue because to be honest the screen saver feature of being able to have my own photos as my screensaver has been one of my favorite features and now it is gone.   So now I wonder why do I really need my Roku ultra anymore?  I may just purchase a different streaming device so I can get that custom screensaver functionality back.  🤔

9 REPLIES 9
DKSteele

Re: Roku Ultra's Custom Screensaver function no longer works after android app update?

Mine too. I lost my mom almost five years ago and all my favorite pictures of her were on the screen saver. It helps me cope with her loss. I want this screen saver back. 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Ultra's Custom Screensaver function no longer works after android app update?

@DKSteele @Danieldialatone 

The latest Roku mobile app update did not remove the mobile screensaver functionality.

The actual Mobile Screensaver app on the Roku itself was removed.

You should contact Roku CS about it:

chat/email/phone: https://support.roku.com/contactus (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

0 Kudos

I contacted Support in regards to this and spoke to 3 different support agents.  They all told me they would get back to me.  I sincerely hope they did not deprecate this feature as it was one of my favorite features since they do not allow for customizing themes.

0 Kudos
Danieldialatone
Channel Surfer

I think its pretty safe to say that you "SteamerUser" act in some official capacity, and if that be the case, let me tell you... removing a feature without giving advanced warning is among other things... RUDE, and really bad PR.  

I'm reading posts that have people saying that customer service will "get back to you", but that never happens, so the whole thing of "You should contact Roku CS about it:"  it just not going to work.

I'm sorry, but ROKU has a really bad customer service problem.

Now... at the end of the day, I'll move on from this.  Obviously ROKU decided that this feature costed too much money for them up do upkeep on it, or maybe they won't admit that there was a potential security risk discovered within the feature, and instead of fixing it, they just got rid of it,  which... you know what?  Just a simple heads up on this featured being removed, would have been nice. 

Danieldialatone
Channel Surfer

I wonder... was it LEGAL for them to get rid of a feature that had our data stored on it?  Not giving us a chance to retrieve that data before it was arbitrarily deleted without forewarning? 

There's people who had photos of family members who had just recently passed on some of these things. 

Wow... this is BIG.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Danieldialatone 

I dont act in any official capacity - I'm not employed by Roku, I'm simply a user like you who perhaps has a bit more knowledge about Roku's products/services/practices.   Roku "selected" me due to my charming personality and complete adherence to Roku company policies and goals (humor).

I would agree entirely that intentionally removing a feature (reducing functionality) without warning is very bad customer service/practice, and if that happened in this case (as opposed to an inadvertent mistake) you, me, and everyone should point it out and hold Roku as accountable as you/me/we can.

However, IMO this has the "feel" of an intentional removal, considering the support documentation for the Mobile Screensaver is gone from what I can tell, and had been nearly absent for a year or more.

Also, unfortunately, historically, the CE (including software) industry is replete with repeated reducing of functionality behavior with updates/upgrades/etc (it's one of my pet peeves), mostly done with little to no warning or documentation or acknowledgement.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Danieldialatone wrote:

I wonder... was it LEGAL for them to get rid of a feature that had our data stored on it?  Not giving us a chance to retrieve that data before it was arbitrarily deleted without forewarning? 

There's people who had photos of family members who had just recently passed on some of these things. 

Wow... this is BIG.

My guess is that Roku would argue that the pictures stored on the devices could only be copies of pictures already present on the mobile/casting device, and therefore they cant be held accountable if those originals were deleted, and that for the device copy you'd have to accept the Terms of Use/Account Terms and conditions which limits/voids their liability.

0 Kudos
Malisent
Reel Rookie

I'm REALLY upset about this. My family photos were my screensaver. I'll switch to Chromecast if this isn't reverted, as I'm not going to have an entire part of my wall black or filled with images that have no meaning to me.

0 Kudos
Cguinchard

Yep, I'm already searching for a new device to buy. Give me my custom screensaver back and I'm 100% happy, take it away and I'm looking for a new device.

0 Kudos