Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joejvj
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra - Screensaver stopped working

For the past week the screensaver has stopped working. I'm just getting a black screen. I've tried changing screensavers, clear the cache (10 min pulled power), update, restart, nothing seems to fix this.

It's been working fine for at least a year and just suddenly stopped working. Can't believe it's something at my end unless the roku box just crapped out.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? 

20 REPLIES 20
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra - Screensaver stopped working

@joejvj

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What are you seeing when you state that the screensaver isn't working? What screensaver is your device set on?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
joejvj
Channel Surfer

I am using the default aquarium SS.

How it used to work- When I turn on my TV and select the Roku HDMI port, the SS would be playing (the aquarium). As soon as I hit OK key, the SS would stop and the Roku main menu would appear.

Now what's happening after turning on the TV and selecting the Roku HDMI port, the screen is black. I have to press OK twice to get to the main menu.

This started happening a few days ago. I've had this ultra for at least a year with no problems. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@joejvj, what's the software version shown under Settings->System->About?  If it's 10.5 then you should have a new Power category under Settings->System.  Go into it and turn off the "power saver" or whatever they call it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
joejvj
Channel Surfer

This gets rid of the black screen issue. Now it goes directly to main menu. Screensaver still doesn't show but I can live with that. Thanks for your help.

I have a feeling that something else has changed in the 10.5 build related to detecting that the TV's HDMI port has become active. I believe it is quickly changing from the screen saver to the main menu when I turn on my TV, where previously it stayed on screensaver until I press a key on the remote. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I think you're right.                                                                      

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
StarGeezerTim
Binge Watcher

Same issue happened to me. It updated last week and there were issues particularly with the screensaver activating the wrong saver while in app. Another update was pushed yesterday, and now it's completely fouled up. It defaults to the aquarium saver. I have a bought-and-paid-for saver (Clever Clocks) that now never comes up, even from the main menu page.

I too have done everything...restarted, turned off the power management, cold rebooted, etc. The screensaver doesn't even show up in "My Screensavers" section, although if I scroll down, it has a check mark on it, so it's downloaded and installed. I even tried buying another clock screensaver to install it, and it wouldn't let the sale go through (even though I've bought things before, fairly recently even, and the payment info is all good.) I like having a clock app active so if I fall asleep while watching the Roku, when it idles it will pop up the time and local temperature for me at a glance. It's a feature I've grown accustomed to in the 6+ years I've been using a Roku, and am rather annoyed that the functionality has been broken by an "update."

joejvj
Channel Surfer

I opened a ticket with Roku support yesterday. After going back and forth with the usual troubleshooting tips, they finally agreed to look at this further and asked me to issue ID via remote keypresses. I sure hope this gets resolved. Unfortunately, there is no way to re-install back firmware versions.  

StarGeezerTim
Binge Watcher

Good to know. Please keep us posted if you hear anything. Hopefully they'll drop a hotfix for it soon. 

gren99
Reel Rookie

yup, i can here with pretty much the exact same problem. i, too, have the clever clocks screensaver (and use the nixie clock setting) for pretty much the same reasons you describe. it was working yesterday, not working today - and i'm still on v10.0 of the roku OS (last updated 6/29, it says.) 

maybe there is some sort of issue between roku and the developer, but the whole thing is strange and kinda annoying.