Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevec5375
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra Indicator Light

Jump to solution

I just installed a new Roku Ultra a few days ago.  It's supposed to be the latest model.  It works fine and is faster than the previous Roku Ultra which died after many years.  However, one thing I have observed with much disdain is the LED on the front of the device won't stay turned off at night and is lighting up my bedroom.  I have that setting turned on which is supposed to put the device to sleep after 20 minutes of activity.  When I stop watching TV before bedtime, I turn off the TV followed by putting my Onkyo digital receiver into Standby mode.  The light went off.  Sometime in the middle of the night the light came back on even though the TV and receiver were off.

How can I have the LED perform like my previous Roku Ultra and turn off the LED when it's not in use?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra Indicator Light

Jump to solution

@Chilepeppa, try disabling "power saving" under Settings->System->Power and the light may behave properly.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku should create an option in the preferences to control the LED light on the front of the Roku players. You should have the option to dim it so it isn't as bright or disable it completely if you never want to see it. I don't really understand what the purpose of the light is supposed to be for anyway. To let you know it's playing a video? I can see that by looking at the TV screen. The light is just an annoyance in my opinion much like the battery warnings the remote likes to spam on your screen at times which also has no option to disable.

Boz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hopefully, someone can answer your question, because it's certainly valid.

In the meantime, go to Dollar Tree.  Buy a $1.25 roll of black electrical tape.  Cut a small piece off of the roll.  Put it over the light on your Roku Ultra.  Problem solved (hopefully).  On top of that, you'll have a mostly unused roll of black electrical tape left over for future use.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Greetings, Community users!

It is highly appreciated that you've reached out to us regarding the disabling of the LED light which can be seen on some of your Roku streaming devices. 

Please be aware that it is intended and by design, however, you can disable this on the following Roku players:

• Roku TV system, Roku Streambar, Roku Streambar Pro, or Roku Smart Soundbar.

To be able to change the standby LED setting on those devices, follow the steps provided below:

1. Press Home > Settings > System: (On a Roku TV system) = Power > Standby LED > Off ; (On a Roku Streambar, Roku Streambar Pro, or Roku Smart Soundbar) = Advanced System Settings > LED > Off.

Hope this helps! Happy Streaming.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

So why is there no "LED-off" setting for any of the Roku players? Only the TVs and soundbars?

Ridiculous!

Chilepeppa
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with the darn light coming back on in a bedroom setup... I have tried applying "Light Dims" (dims 50-80% of electronics lights) to no avail. With the sticker over the light, the remote no longer responds to the Roku Ultra! Had to remove the sticker and just control it by turning off the power bar every night. VERY ANNOYING ROKU!!! Update the software for some contro for that light! Device also stays warm when the light is on which tells me it's not sleeping...

jontalk
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@stevec5375Your post has my curiosity since I'm a long time Roku user who upgraded to the 4800R well over a year ago and own an Onkyo TX-NR636 Dolby Atmos AVR. I'm going to assume your Roku is connected to the Onkyo via HDMI. I'm curious about the age of your AVR since early Onkyo receivers were known for HDMI issues. I mention this since I use the same power setting, etc. In fact the Roku LED shuts off and stays off moments after the receiver is powered down.

What HDMI port are you using on the Onkyo and have you tried switching to a different one in a troubleshooting effort? Of course, once you switch, you'll need to select the new port on the AVR remote to view content. And in case you're wondering, my AVR is about two years old so it works like a champ 🙂

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
Chilepeppa
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

OK, I went back into my Light Dims package and tried another single sticker over the light. I can still see the light but it IS dimmed 50-80% so that it is less annoying AND the remote still worked. Not ideal solution as Roku should have this light go completely out when it's in sleep mode (and STAY OUT!)... but it'll do. You can find Light Dims on Amazon...

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Chilepeppa, try disabling "power saving" under Settings->System->Power and the light may behave properly.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Chilepeppa
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That took care of it @renojim!  Thanks!!

0 Kudos