Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Roku Ultra 4802 inoperative

Jump to solution

I have a 10 year old semi smart Vizio TV and a Roku Ultra model 4802R. I had the Roku hooked up to my Denon audio visual device and it worked fine for about a year. Recently I simply moved the TV and the Roku did not work, the TV screen only had the "No Signal! floating message. I did all the troubleshooting [plug/unplug] to no avail. I contacted Roku service and they advised me to plug it in to the HDMI 2 port on my TV and then it worked! {I could not plug it into HDMI 1 because that is in use by my Denon}.

It works, but only with the TV sound, not the Denon. I asked the Roku agent why it would not work with that device when it had in the past and they suggested I contact Denon. I do not think that will result in a solution.

Can anyone explain why I can't make it work like it used to? Should I purchase a new Roku?

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra 4802 inoperative

Jump to solution

Disregard what I just said. I had failed to put the TV back on HDMI one. Everything now works perfectly thanks to you.

I am not getting personal at all, but I would like to reward you for your help. Is there any place I can send some form of compensation to you? You absolutely deserve it. I don’t do this very often, but you went way beyond what I could expect from anyone. I respect your anonymity. Perhaps a gift certificate to a post office box? Please advise. I’m quite serious.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I'm glad you figured it out, and I was pretty sure you would after I confirmed your equipment. No, I don't need anything other than a kudo if you feel it's worth it. I'm just trying to help in places I think I can be of assistance. 🙂

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

drd90274
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I believe I correctly gave you a Kudo but cash would be more appropriate. I do feel like I owe you and I hope you will reconsider my offer. Doug

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
atc98092

Jump to solution

The fact it worked connected directly to the TV indicates there's no problem with the Roku. Unfortunately it sounds like you might have an issue with your Denon, which of course Roku can't help with. Depending on the number of HDMI ports you have on the Denon, you might try the Roku in a different port. Also check your video settings on the Denon and make sure they are configured to passthrough the video and not attempt any sort of scaling of the video signal. 

When you had the Roku connected to the Denon, did you at least hear any audio from the Roku (when booting there's a musical phrase that plays for several seconds, and then there are clicks any time you press a remote button unless you've turned them off)?

Depending on your TV and your Denon, you might be able to send the audio from the TV back to the Denon via ARC. If your TV and AVR both support ARC, the HDMI ports on both devices should be labeled that way. However, there's some older TVs that will not send more than 2 channel stereo via ARC from an HDMI connected device. Any TV apps could send 5.1, but nothing connected to the TV directly. I can't say if your older Vizio does that. 

Dan

0 Kudos
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No doubt the problem is not with Roku. On the back of the Denon there is a cable/satellite port that the Roku had been plugged into. They're also two auxiliary ports on the back of the Denon. Could one of those be used instead of the cable or satellite port???

When I had the  Denon connected with the Roku I always did hear the audio from the Roku. As I said, before I moved the unit everything worked well. I frequently used just the regular TV sound, but when I turned on the Denon I was always able to use my auxiliary speakers. 

I don't get much of a screen currently from the Denon so it appears I am unable to check my settings. Again, this is a 10-year-old TV. I don't know what ARC is, but I doubt if my TV supports it.

Someone suggested that I simply use a new HDMI cord from the Denon to the Roku. Also, I could simply purchase a new Roku.

0 Kudos
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It's still hard for me to believe this was not caused by my moving of the TV. All the connections look good and I just don't get it.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@drd90274 wrote:

No doubt the problem is not with Roku. On the back of the Denon there is a cable/satellite port that the Roku had been plugged into. They're also two auxiliary ports on the back of the Denon. Could one of those be used instead of the cable or satellite port???

When I had the  Denon connected with the Roku I always did hear the audio from the Roku. As I said, before I moved the unit everything worked well. I frequently used just the regular TV sound, but when I turned on the Denon I was always able to use my auxiliary speakers. 

I don't get much of a screen currently from the Denon so it appears I am unable to check my settings. Again, this is a 10-year-old TV. I don't know what ARC is, but I doubt if my TV supports it.

Someone suggested that I simply use a new HDMI cord from the Denon to the Roku. Also, I could simply purchase a new Roku.

It doesn't matter what the HDMI port is labeled, you can connect any HDMI device into any HDMI port. Depending on the age of the Denon, it might not support 4K/60 on all ports, but with a TV that old my guess is it's not 4K anyway. So yes you could use any available HDMI port.

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel, and it provides a path for the TV audio to be sent back to the AVR through the HDMI cable, thereby not requiring an optical or analog audio connection from the TV to the AVR. Even 10 years old your TV might support it. If it does, only one of the HDMI ports on the TV will be labeled ARC. And it's not always the HDMI 1 port, so you really need to look at each port for the label. Most AVRs only have a single HDMI out port, so if it supports ARC it will be on that port. Some fancier AVRs have dual HDMI out ports, but only one will support ARC.

I highly doubt a new HDMI cable would make any difference. If the cable worked connected to the TV, then it should work through the AVR. Again, the problem lies with the Denon, not the Roku. Replacing the Roku will not make any difference.

What I can't say if you accidentally pressed some button on the panel of the Denon when you moved the equipment that might be causing the problem. I know on my Yamaha AVRs there is a button the disables all video processing so that (in theory) the audio should be purer and clearer because there should be no video processing electronic noise from the circuit boards. If your Denon has a similar button, it might have been pressed by mistake. That would not pass any video through the AVR. 

Dan

0 Kudos
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Let me state first that I want to thank you and Roku for such a quick and professional responses to my query. 

There's only one HDMI port on the back of the Denon. Are you saying the other ports marked AUX1 and AUX2 are also HDMI ports?

The Denon is only two years old. I know I didn't press any buttons when I moved it but perhaps I inadvertently pressed a button earlier.

I have five HDMI ports on my TV but nothing that says ARC. Before this happened everything {Roku, AVR, VCR, BluRay] only used HDMI 1. None of the other ports were being used.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I'm not following with your Denon. I've never heard of an AVR with only one HDMI input, especially one that new. Could you provide me with the model number so I can look up the manual online in the morning? And if you can find the model number of the TV I could double check about if it supports ARC. I'll look them both up in the morning. 

Dan

0 Kudos
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Vizio      VF550XVT / 1a

Denon   AVR-S760H

It is amazing we're having this conversation Friday night after 11 PM.. I hope someone is compensating you for all this.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Compensation? No way, I'm just another user that happens to have some additional knowledge in this area. 🙂

OK, first your TV. From what I can find, it does not have ARC, so the only way to get audio from the TV to the AVR is with either an optical cable (preferred) or the L/R analog cables. 

Your Denon is highly capable, as it actually supports 8K resolution. You have six HDMI inputs, and all six support 4K. The three labeled Game, Aux 1 and Aux 2 support 8K. You can connect your Roku to any of them. You do have a "Pure" sound button on the front panel. I haven't looked up your manual, but my guess is this button would shut down all video processing, so it might have been accidentally pressed and would explain no video from your Roku. Look at your display on the Denon and see if it shows Pure mode enabled. 

Dan

0 Kudos
drd90274
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I plugged the Roku back into the cable satellite plug on the back of the Denon, where it was before. I found the pure button on the front of the Roku. I do not know if I have previously pressed that button or not, but I may have. I can tell you that when I did press it it displayed “direct”. When I clicked on the Roku there was no sound. After I clicked the pure button, there was a sound when I use the Roku, but the screen only has the rotating “no signal” response. The Denon  display shows MCh Stereo CBL, which is where it was originally.                      

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.