Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rocknerd

Roku Ultra 4670X failing?

I have a Roku Ultra 4670X activated in 2020, running the latest updates available. It will randomly flash a black screen when it is been streaming for a few minutes. Feels hot all the time. I've had it connected directly to two tv sets, same problem. Audio is only in stereo for all streaming I've tried, regardless of the movie features, gone are the dolby Digital+, etc. And the headphone jack on the remote now fails to recognize headphones are connected. I have tried new batteries in the remote, searched the forum and tried the various suggestions for both audio and video problems, to no avail. I have never had a Roku fail on me, I've owned Roku HD, Roku 2 until they were no longer supported. This Ultra packs too many features for its own good. Currently researching replacement.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra 4670X failing?

@rocknerd-

Re screen flashing black - does this happen when starting/ending programs and when going in/out/between commercials?   If so:

Under "Settings > System > Advanced system Settings > Advanced display settings" some Roku devices have an "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" item.   If this is enabled, the Roku circuitry sends the signal output at the refresh rate used by the original source material, commonly 24 fps (frames per second), 25 fps, 30 fps, 50 fps, or 60 fps.  Every time the source refresh rate changes, the TV must adjust its display to accommodate the new rate, which on many sets results in a short blackout. 

This can happen when starting/stopping new programs, and when going in/out of commercial breaks that have a different native refresh rate than the programs they are inserted into. 

If "Auto-adjust display refresh rate" is set OFF, the Roku sends everything with a rate of 60 fps and the TV doesn't have to adjust on the fly. 

The tradeoff here is that, depending on your set, movement of things on the screen for non-60 fps sources may not be as smooth without a refresh rate adjustment.  You have to decide whether this change is worth it to you. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos