Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku TV using economic duress to force new contract terms

My Roku TV is refusing to do anything unless I agree to contract modifications. So I either must "agree" or I will need to purchase a new TV.

How do I stop my Roku TV from engaging in this illegitimate conduct?

11 REPLIES 11
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV using economic duress to force new contract terms

You could always use a factory reset or Recovery Mode (if your TV supports it) and set up your TV as a "dumb" TV not connected to the Internet.  It's probably better, or at least cheaper, than getting a new TV if you're finished with Roku.

How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

How to use Recovery Mode on your Roku TV™ | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
rickstanford
Channel Surfer

I think we all need to just sue them.  I have six Roku devices that I spent hundreds of dollars on and all of them are now useless.  I'm going to mail them all to their headquarters since they apparently own them still.  If anyone else is interested, their address is:

Oh, and don't try to say "att@@rney" on these "community" pages.  Roku blocks that word for some reason...

aa5gp

My phone Roku app functions fine as a remote and gives control of my Roku back to me. The pop up that appears on the screen with the Roku remote disappears  when I use my phone's Roku app (remote emulator)

0 Kudos
aa5gp

Use the Roku app on your phone. It is an easy trouble free fix.

0 Kudos
mop_891
Roku Guru

One thing these terms have always been there. This was just a minor update. Many products and services have similar terms of use. Netflix does, Hulu does, samsung smart TV's do. So, If you plan on changing streaming devices, check the terms of use before you buy.

0 Kudos
ToolmanRod

This is blackmail plain and simple.  I was locked out of all of my Roku devices minutes before guests arrived.  I had no choice but to agree or tell everyone I had no content to stream and I couldn't access my own movie library.  Note that the opt-out process requires a written letter sent by certified mail -- obviously to make it as painful as possible.  I've been a HUGE Roku fan for many years.  I no longer recommend them to anybody.  If they succeed, expect a flood of similar hostage taking by other companies!  Keep the complaints coming.  Maybe they're not completely deaf.

greginga
Channel Surfer

I'm pretty sure the terms are just to keep their product safe from pirates and protect them from law suites. I don't think there's anything in there about taking your first born. It's a device to watch TV on, what is it that you think you have to worry about?

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

@greginga  How many times are you going to post the exact same thing comparing what Roku is doing to taking your first born child? Which is absolutely ridiculous, you sound like you are on the Roku payroll here to downplay what Roku has done to quell dissatisfaction. It won't work.

0 Kudos
m167a1
Reel Rookie

The new terms apply to everyone, across all Roku devices. Will be interesting to see this tested in court.

I use a Roku box with a dumb TV and the new terms arrived via email.

"by continuing to use our product you agree...." 

I do note that several competitors do not impose mandatory arbitration, so everyone take that into consideration when making additional purchases.