Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jniezgoski
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 3800X Stuck at Checking for new software

Jump to solution

I was told by phone support that it's too old and won't work ever again. Even though it was just working fine prior to Factory Reset. Roku internally decided to not allow these devices to update thus bricking a device when Factory Reset. I will not be purchasing another Roku device again. I have Roku TVs and will be moving to other brands.

StuckOnSWupdate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@jniezgoski Of course it's silly to say that it won't work because it's too old, it doesn't work because they broke it. Their web site says that device is still updateable, so it will work as long as you have been keeping it connected so it can stay updated and don't do a factory reset. If nothing else they should push out a software update that disables doing a factory reset. Who knows, maybe they have.

My only beef with the situation is the lack of transparency. Tell us what the problem is, and if we're just screwed tell us so... but don't waste our time telling us to try things that won't do anything to fix the problem.

DLP100
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

According to Roku's developer website, which appears to be the authority on Current Roku Models, Updatable Roku Models, and Legacy Roku Models, the 3800X is classified as Updatable as of today (5-10-2023). Given their posted advertisement, "The following models are no longer manufactured, but can run the latest Roku OS," there should have been no risk that a Factory Reset would have prevented you from upgrading the device again to the current version. 

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/hardware.md

jniezgoski
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Their only solution thus far was to provide a 30% off their store credit for a new product. Insulting... Why would I want to buy a new one when you literally throw customers in the dust by "bricking" their devices? Disgusting.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated the issue you are experiencing with being unable to update to a recent OS.

At this time, we believe this issue has been resolved and invite you to check for an update on your Roku device to see if your device can be updated to a more recent OS build.

Please keep us posted what you find out. We look forward to hearing back your responses.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
dobbz
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Issue resolved.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
taschmidt
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yep, it seems to be working now. Although I should mention to others that I had to go through the update/reboot/update/reboot loop probably 4-5 times before it got past it. I almost thought it was stuck but it did eventually get through.

While I appreciate that Roku did eventually fix it, it would've been nice if they hadn't wasted most of this thread and countless separate support threads basically calling us all liars before finally taking it seriously.

StuckOnSWupdate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Whaddaya know, it's fixed! Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @dobbz @taschmidt @StuckOnSWupdate,

Thanks for the update.

We're glad that your issue is resolved. Please let us know if there are other related issues that we can further take a look at.

We appreciate you again posting in Roku Community.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Aliceetben
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Indeed, it's fixed !!

Thanks to the support team, and thanks to you, fellow users, for the companionship in these times of update loops 🙂

0 Kudos