Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taschmidt
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 3800X Stuck at Checking for new software

Jump to solution

@dobbz ironically, I'm a software engineer who was specifically looking for older hardware to test on. So upgrading goes against the very thing I was trying to test. Very frustrating.

It could very well be planned obsolescence but now that I have some experience developing on Roku, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that this is an upgrade path that they simply never tested and they're code is breaking as a result.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@taschmidt 

Thanks for following up. 

Our support team is now aware of your issue and will be reaching out to you through email.  Please be ready to receive their correspondence and continue assisting you from there. 

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work toward a resolution.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
taschmidt
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuNimfa-C your support has gotten me absolutely nowhere. I just keep getting canned responses thinking it's my network (it definitely is not). The latest response said that while I won't get new updates on this older device I can continue to use it. But that's not true since the initial setup can't complete without successfully checking for updates!

taschmidt
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

This whole situation is frustrating. Their support eventually agreed to DO ME A FAVOR just this once and replace my out-of-warranty "defective device" rather than admit that there's absolutely nothing wrong my actual device and take responsibility for what's obviously a bug in their shoddy software!

therourke
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Another user here in exactly the same boat. My Roku searches for system update forever and never finds it. I can't setup my device.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @therourke

Greeting from Roku Community. 

To better understand the situation, you are in the process of activating your Roku device. You must complete the on-screen instructions to connect your Roku device to your home network and the internet before you can proceed with activation.

It may be due to a slow network caused by a poor wireless signal, issues with your router, or the quality of your internet service. Could you try connecting this Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are able to update your Roku device? 

Let us know what you find out. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
therourke
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, @RokuNimfa-C 

I have tried two different WiFi networks, plus a mobile hotspot, but it is not moving past the 'checking for new software' message. I have rebooted and factory reset the device (which is a Roku 3910X). No difference. The device is essentially a brick.

I assume that these old devices are restricted from the Roku servers somehow, due to old software/hardware.

taschmidt
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuNimfa-C it's amazing to me that you're still missing the point. It's not any of our networks. It's obvious to everyone who doesn't work for Roku that it's your problem!

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@therourke

Thanks for following up. 

We'll go ahead and help you further. Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device? Each Roku player and Roku audio device has its serial number or device ID printed on the bottom or back of the product

Once we have this information, I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
therourke
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks @RokuNimfa-C 

My serial number: C5379D681356

I look forward to receiving your email.

0 Kudos