Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shw31957
Reel Rookie

Roku Streambar - Private Listening does not work with my TV/Sky audio, fine with Roku itself

Jump to solution

This issue was very accurately described by the user as I have the same issue attempting private listening through Amazon Firestick / FireTV.

Bottom line. 

This is functionality that must be enabled if Roku desires to be compliant with the intent of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

I am hearing impaired and play all audio-video media directly through my Bluetooth Hearing Aids.

Roku is discriminating against the hearing impaired by denying the use of private listening through the streambar.

I really do like the quality of Roku Products, unfortunately due to this discriminatory policy, this will be my final purchase of ANY ROKU PRODUCT -- unless Roku pushes a software update to enable this private listening functionality for any content regardless of source streamed through the STREAMBAR.

The product is misnamed.

It should be called Roku Content-Only Player to be accurate for consumer purchase understanding.

https://www.ada.gov/

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shw31957
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Streambar - Private Listening does not work with my TV/Sky audio, fine with Roku itself

Jump to solution

SOLUTION PROVIDED.  ROKU ROCKS!

Unlike the ROKU TCL TV that connects the BT headset to the TV via the remote app, to use the streambar to connect to ANYTHING playing though it... DO THIS FIRST...

The BT headset must FIRST be connected by pairing directly with the Soundbar via software setup in SETTINGS = REMOTES&DEVICES = WIRELESS HEADPHONES.  Check the box to Auto-Connect.

Once this is done the Streambar will normally connect when the headset is turned on. For that reason I have a dedicated headset for the streambar.

This forum is very helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Streambar - Private Listening does not work with my TV/Sky audio, fine with Roku itself

Jump to solution

Hi @shw31957,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand, and we really do apologize for the inconvenience. We'd like to understand better the issue you're running into.

Bluetooth private listening is only available on Roku streaming devices with Bluetooth capability. Any Bluetooth headphones that support Bluetooth version 4.2 or greater can connect to a compatible Roku streaming device. Visit the Roku product comparison chart to see which current Roku streaming devices have Bluetooth. If you're using a Roku Streambar, you can use this feature. For more information, you'll want to visit our support page here: How to use Bluetooth headphones for private listening on your Roku streaming device.

Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
shw31957
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

SOLUTION PROVIDED.  ROKU ROCKS!

Unlike the ROKU TCL TV that connects the BT headset to the TV via the remote app, to use the streambar to connect to ANYTHING playing though it... DO THIS FIRST...

The BT headset must FIRST be connected by pairing directly with the Soundbar via software setup in SETTINGS = REMOTES&DEVICES = WIRELESS HEADPHONES.  Check the box to Auto-Connect.

Once this is done the Streambar will normally connect when the headset is turned on. For that reason I have a dedicated headset for the streambar.

This forum is very helpful.

0 Kudos
Kymmi1975

Jump to solution

I am having issues with my S10+ connecting to the private listening options through the app to my TV it was working great and with this update all of a sudden now I can't connect. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Kymmi1975,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with the private listening on your Roku mobile app. We're happy to help you. Please try to remove the Roku mobile app and re-add it again.

Let us know how it works.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
shw31957
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have discovered that on occasion my BT headphones will show up in the wireless headphones list as previously paired, but they will no longer connect to the Roku Streambar.

Solution: restart the Streambar from Menu•SETTINGS•SYSTEM•SYSTEM-RESTART.

0 Kudos