Features, settings & updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lesmikesell
Level 13

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

@Gary-94080 wrote:

also, I think there is a difference between something that wears out due to use or age and something that is rendered useless or less useful by a forced software change. 

Things break all the time.  Sometimes that breakage happens in the middle of an update.  When the update causes the breakage, all of them break at once.  I don't think that has happened, at least not any more than any other TV type.  I know there have been some that caused problems on Sony Android TV's and I kept my 'auto update' turned off a few months to avoid it.

0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Level 12

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote:

also, I think there is a difference between something that wears out due to use or age and something that is rendered useless or less useful by a forced software change. 

Things break all the time.  Sometimes that breakage happens in the middle of an update.  When the update causes the breakage, all of them break at once.  I don't think that has happened, at least not any more than any other TV type.  I know there have been some that caused problems on Sony Android TV's and I kept my 'auto update' turned off a few months to avoid it.

I'm not aware that it is possible to turn off updates on the Roku Ultra.  if it was I would do a factory reset and call it a day.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Gary-94080 wrote:

I'm not aware that it is possible to turn off updates on the Roku Ultra.  if it was I would do a factory reset and call it a day.

No, there is no option for that. All you can do is power it off when not in use. That means unplugging the power, since there's no on/off switch. You could disconnect it from the network, but unless you using a wired connection that's a bigger pain. Also, doing a factory reset does not change your installed OS. You will still have whatever version it's currently running.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Level 12

@atc98092 wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

TCL is starting to make android TV versions as well as Roku, but Roku doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

As for a media server, you must have a computer to have downloaded/ripped all that media.  Fire up Plex on it and be done with it.  Or if it's a laptop and not always there, a cheap raspberry pi will work.   And an add-on wifi extender will likely fix your wifi problems without needing wires.

Yeah, and TCL has acknowledged a huge security issue with their Android TVs as well. Seems like they have more work to do on their OS side. 😄

Plex is one great example of a media server software package, and there are a number of others. Emby also offers a good one, and both offer apps for Android as well as Roku devices. I prefer to use Serviio as a standard DLNA server, and RMP serves me well with it. I assisted the Serviio developer and created a number of profiles for Roku devices, so what needs transcoding is transcoded, and media that can play natively does so. Fortunately, users have provided me feedback to help continue to improve the profiles as well. 

But regardless of the media server, Roku devices can still take care of your personal media. RMP may not be the best player for your use, and if it's not then give Plex or Emby a look. All three I mentioned here can be installed and used free of charge, while all three also offer a paid version that includes additional functionality. You can decide if there's any value in the upgraded versions. 

buried in your reply is the point that several people have made in their posts.

version 4 RMP wasn't a great media player but it was adequate for their needs.

then version 5 was issued.  initially it crashed and burned and was recalled and everyone breathed a sigh of relief, only to return with a vengeance (sounds like the corona virus).  so far Roku has not gotten version 5 back to the level of acceptability of version 4.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

@atc98092 wrote:

Yeah, and TCL has acknowledged a huge security issue with their Android TVs as well. Seems like they have more work to do on their OS side. 😄

I think all vendors have had to do some work on the base Android TV version.

But regardless of the media server, Roku devices can still take care of your personal media. RMP may not be the best player for your use, and if it's not then give Plex or Emby a look. All three I mentioned here can be installed and used free of charge, while all three also offer a paid version that includes additional functionality. You can decide if there's any value in the upgraded versions. 

There is also Jellyfin, currently only usable for video content.  It is a fork of emby intended to remain free without a paid version, but the roku client was hit with the same requirements to change that broke the native media player and likewise hasn't made it back to full functionality.  If there are any roku developers listening, they could volunteer to help fix it.  The server side and other clients handle photos and music too.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Gary-94080 wrote:

then version 5 was issued.  initially it crashed and burned and was recalled and everyone breathed a sigh of relief, only to return with a vengeance (sounds like the corona virus).  so far Roku has not gotten version 5 back to the level of acceptability of version 4.

That apparently differs for different users. RMP still plays all my videos as always. The new Ultra 4800 has issues, but that's not an RMP issue. They've mucked up the OS for the 4800 a bit and are still tweaking it. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Level 12

@atc98092 wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote:

That apparently differs for different users. RMP still plays all my videos as always. The new Ultra 4800 has issues, but that's not an RMP issue. They've mucked up the OS for the 4800 a bit and are still tweaking it. 

the audio player while in continuous play still stops after two or three files are played.  version 4 handled continuous play just fine.

I don't use it but another posted that the photo player will exit out of continuous display after a certain time.  I tested it, it does happen.  there hasn't been a RMP update since so I assume it is still there.  the person used to use version 4 for this without issue, but I believe has moved on to a third party app.

if Roku's position is that RMP is good enough as it is, then that is the answer and I will give up hope that Roku will ever fix the problem.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yeah, for whatever reason Roku hasn't released an update since October, and the developer hasn't responded to a query I sent him a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping that there's just been something that has kept him away from work (but hopefully nothing really bad) and that development will continue soon. 

Dan

0 Kudos
RenB
Level 9

@Gary-94080 wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote:

the instances that I was thinking of were the ones that said their Roku TV's kept trying to update and crashed.  then they were left with a big wide screen brick.

Is that more common than anything else that breaks?   Hasn't happened to mine.

I don't have any first hand information.  I'm just recalling what others had posted.

I don't want to hear that at all!! LOL Mine have been working fine so far and hope they continue! *Knock on wood"! lol 

0 Kudos
Psilobite
Level 12

The other big show stopper with RMP 5 is that in mkv files, it's not possible to select different soundtracks in mkv files that have multiple soundtracks (English, Spanish, Commentary, etc.). RMP 4 handled that just fine as well.

REALLY nasty that a working media player was replaced with a non working one, then it was just left like that. INEXCUSABLE.