Features, settings & updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gary-94080
Level 12

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

@RenB wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote:

@RenB wrote:

What happened to the album's when you select photos? I have thousands of photos broken down into many albums. The video instructions on the "Roku how to use" app show that it used to have access to photo albums once you choose media display-photos. And it should! But all I show is the thousands of pictures and would have to scroll through them all. Will this be changed back??

there were a lot of "little" features that were lost when they issued version 5.  they keep saying that they are working on getting them back.  so far there has been a considerable lack of progress.

also they are currently up to version 5.4 

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Roku-Media-Player-5-4-Build-4-Up...

good luck, maybe your issue will be an easy fix.

Thank you. I just downloaded the app today, so I could tell the software setup was different than on the instructional video on the Roku app. But finding that change of no album selection was extremely disappointing!

your welcome.

I don't recall seeing your issue raised before so it may not be on their list or high on the priority.

just from my observation, assurances from Roku and third parties that fixes were being worked on were made early on but they seemed to have gone dark.  about 4 or 5 weeks ago I voiced an opinion that Roku seemed to be basically done with the fixes.  so far I haven't seen any push back on that view.

0 Kudos
RenB
Level 9

I feel like I saw that under some thread like yours about 5.0 being broken mentioning issue with photos and albums but not specifically. In this day and age with all the photos people take they really should have the albums selections in place like they did! I really hope they fix it! Thanks again! Happy Holidays.

0 Kudos

I'm not feeling very positive right now about any long term support from Roku. I was looking to purchase another big screen tv with built in Roku, and what I found sent alarm bells ringing. I looked at Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, and Target. TVs with built in Roku are still available in the lower end brands like HiSense, TCL, and Westinghouse, but the higher end brands like Sharp, Vizio and Sony have apparently backed out of the Roku TV market. After spending several hours looking without luck for a Roku tv from one of the higher end brands, that little voice in my head started chanting "the end is near!".

Now I wouldn't be bothered by that so much if the plug in Roku devices had a usb port to be able to access all of the 8 TB of multimedia files I have in photos, videos, and audio on a couple of external drives, but they don't.

I'm trying really hard to avoid the inevitable need to build a media server that all of my tvs can access. My in-house wifi bites thanks to Spectrum's laissez faire attitude about quality and service, and since I'm in a rental, I can't really start running cables through the walls to hardwire connections to a media server.

Is Roku heading towards the history shelf, destined to sit beside the Western Digital WDTV Media Player as something that was once great until the companies just stopped supporting them? I asked my magic 8-ball and it replied, "Signs Point to Yes".

0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Level 12

@planepineapple wrote:

I'm not feeling very positive right now about any long term support from Roku. I was looking to purchase another big screen tv with built in Roku, and what I found sent alarm bells ringing. I looked at Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, and Target. TVs with built in Roku are still available in the lower end brands like HiSense, TCL, and Westinghouse, but the higher end brands like Sharp, Vizio and Sony have apparently backed out of the Roku TV market. After spending several hours looking without luck for a Roku tv from one of the higher end brands, that little voice in my head started chanting "the end is near!".

Now I wouldn't be bothered by that so much if the plug in Roku devices had a usb port to be able to access all of the 8 TB of multimedia files I have in photos, videos, and audio on a couple of external drives, but they don't.

I'm trying really hard to avoid the inevitable need to build a media server that all of my tvs can access. My in-house wifi bites thanks to Spectrum's laissez faire attitude about quality and service, and since I'm in a rental, I can't really start running cables through the walls to hardwire connections to a media server.

Is Roku heading towards the history shelf, destined to sit beside the Western Digital WDTV Media Player as something that was once great until the companies just stopped supporting them? I asked my magic 8-ball and it replied, "Signs Point to Yes".

I read the horror stories of TV owners with built-in Roku having their TV's rendered unusable by a Roku update.

I still use my WDTV Media Player to play music and videos in a spare room.  I forget the reason but I made the mistake of doing a factory reset once and noticed that some of the functions changed but it still does what I need so I guess no harm done.  the one thing about having a device that is no longer supported is that Western Digital is not likely to issue an update that will render it unusable.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

@planepineapple wrote:

TCL is starting to make android TV versions as well as Roku, but Roku doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

As for a media server, you must have a computer to have downloaded/ripped all that media.  Fire up Plex on it and be done with it.  Or if it's a laptop and not always there, a cheap raspberry pi will work.   And an add-on wifi extender will likely fix your wifi problems without needing wires.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

@Gary-94080 wrote:p> 

I read the horror stories of TV owners with built-in Roku having their TV's rendered unusable by a Roku update.

I still use my WDTV Media Player to play music and videos in a spare room.  I forget the reason but I made the mistake of doing a factory reset once and noticed that some of the functions changed but it still does what I need so I guess no harm done.  the one thing about having a device that is no longer supported is that Western Digital is not likely to issue an update that will render it unusable

If some roku apps stop working in a roku TV, you can plug some other streaming device in an HDMI port to replace it.   Fortunately streaming devices are cheap these days, and roku TVs are often cheaper than dumb TVs with no built in apps.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@lesmikesell wrote:

TCL is starting to make android TV versions as well as Roku, but Roku doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

As for a media server, you must have a computer to have downloaded/ripped all that media.  Fire up Plex on it and be done with it.  Or if it's a laptop and not always there, a cheap raspberry pi will work.   And an add-on wifi extender will likely fix your wifi problems without needing wires.

Yeah, and TCL has acknowledged a huge security issue with their Android TVs as well. Seems like they have more work to do on their OS side. 😄

Plex is one great example of a media server software package, and there are a number of others. Emby also offers a good one, and both offer apps for Android as well as Roku devices. I prefer to use Serviio as a standard DLNA server, and RMP serves me well with it. I assisted the Serviio developer and created a number of profiles for Roku devices, so what needs transcoding is transcoded, and media that can play natively does so. Fortunately, users have provided me feedback to help continue to improve the profiles as well. 

But regardless of the media server, Roku devices can still take care of your personal media. RMP may not be the best player for your use, and if it's not then give Plex or Emby a look. All three I mentioned here can be installed and used free of charge, while all three also offer a paid version that includes additional functionality. You can decide if there's any value in the upgraded versions. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Level 12

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote:p> 

I still use my WDTV Media Player to play music and videos in a spare room.  I forget the reason but I made the mistake of doing a factory reset once and noticed that some of the functions changed but it still does what I need so I guess no harm done.  the one thing about having a device that is no longer supported is that Western Digital is not likely to issue an update that will render it unusable

If some roku apps stop working in a roku TV, you can plug some other streaming device in an HDMI port to replace it.   Fortunately streaming devices are cheap these days, and roku TVs are often cheaper than dumb TVs with no built in apps.

the instances that I was thinking of were the ones that said their Roku TV's kept trying to update and crashed.  then they were left with a big wide screen brick.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

@Gary-94080 wrote:

the instances that I was thinking of were the ones that said their Roku TV's kept trying to update and crashed.  then they were left with a big wide screen brick.

Is that more common than anything else that breaks?   Hasn't happened to mine.

0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Level 12

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Gary-94080 wrote:

Is that more common than anything else that breaks?   Hasn't happened to mine.

I don't have any first hand information.  I'm just recalling what others had posted.

also, I think there is a difference between something that wears out due to use or age and something that is rendered useless or less useful by a forced software change. 

0 Kudos