Features, settings & updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Psilobite
Level 12

Re: Roku Media Player 5.0 broken

@atc98092 wrote:

They have said the previous version cannot be restored. They didn't say why, but my guess is there's something that was used to code the old version that has been depreciated, and will no longer work. The developers were on a deadline to replace the old version.   

Nope. Not buying that. At all. The My Music app still works.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Psilobite wrote:

@atc98092 wrote:

They have said the previous version cannot be restored. They didn't say why, but my guess is there's something that was used to code the old version that has been depreciated, and will no longer work. The developers were on a deadline to replace the old version.   

Nope. Not buying that. At all. The My Music app still works.

Can't compare two different apps created by different developers. My Music might not have used the depreciated items. Since it only plays music, it doesn't have to deal with the issues that come with video.

I mentioned before, the original developer of RMP retired and Roku wasn't putting effort into the channel for a short while. When the new developer assumed the project, they had a deadline for getting the new version out. The only reason for such a deadline was because something wasn't going to work any longer. So they pushed out 5.0, which had so many problems they were forced to restore the old version. But that deadline was still approaching, so we have what we have now. I know it's still being worked on tirelessly. New beta builds come out regularly, but those can't be discussed here. But the developer is aware of what still needs addressing, and they're working through them. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

@moster1002 wrote:

Trying to play videos from a USB hard drive connected to my router. Media player recognizes the drive and lists the videos, which are in mp4 format, but will not play them. It says retrieving for about 30 seconds and then sends me back to the list of videos. Will not play anything. HELP!

Video files have both a container and a codec format.   Mp4 is the container, but you probably have a video codec that roku does not support - or the router can't deliver it fast enough.     You could try using Plex or Emby as the server on a computer instead - they will transcode on the fly to what the client can handle.  Or use handbrake to copy and convert the files to something roku can play.

0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Level 12

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Slideshow-abruptly-ending/m-p/57...

while playing audio files in folder mode the media player will stop at some point even though repeat all is turned on.  so it seems to be a common issue with the photo player.  there is one difference,  when it stops and you press up or down to exit the screensaver it momentarily shows an audio play screen then exits to the files icons screen for the folder instead of the home screen. 

0 Kudos
Gary-94080
Level 12

it's been a month since the last update.

continuous play for audio and photos is still not working.

a media player that stops for no reason is next to useless.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Gary-94080 wrote:

it's been a month since the last update.

continuous play for audio and photos is still not working.

a media player that stops for no reason is next to useless.

They are still working hard on it. I can't say when the next version is coming out, but I suspect it's getting close. I do know that they were working hard on audio playback, but NDA prohibits me from saying exactly what is being covered.

Dan

0 Kudos
RenB
Level 9

What happened to the album's when you select photos? I have thousands of photos broken down into many albums. The video instructions on the "Roku how to use" app show that it used to have access to photo albums once you choose media display-photos. And it should! But all I show is the thousands of pictures and would have to scroll through them all. Will this be changed back??

Gary-94080
Level 12

@RenB wrote:

What happened to the album's when you select photos? I have thousands of photos broken down into many albums. The video instructions on the "Roku how to use" app show that it used to have access to photo albums once you choose media display-photos. And it should! But all I show is the thousands of pictures and would have to scroll through them all. Will this be changed back??

there were a lot of "little" features that were lost when they issued version 5.  they keep saying that they are working on getting them back.  so far there has been a considerable lack of progress.

also they are currently up to version 5.4 

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Roku-Media-Player-5-4-Build-4-Up...

good luck, maybe your issue will be an easy fix.

0 Kudos
RenB
Level 9

@Gary-94080 wrote:

@RenB wrote:

there were a lot of "little" features that were lost when they issued version 5.  they keep saying that they are working on getting them back.  so far there has been a considerable lack of progress.

also they are currently up to version 5.4 

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Roku-Media-Player-5-4-Build-4-Up...

good luck, maybe your issue will be an easy fix.

Thank you. I just downloaded the app today, so I could tell the software setup was different than on the instructional video on the Roku app. But finding that change of no album selection was extremely disappointing!

0 Kudos
atc98092

I don't have any photos on my media server, so I can't offer any opinion about how RMP is doing with them. But I wonder if it might offer a solution if you used a different media server software. If you're using Windows Media Services as your media server, it flat out sucks. No configuration control whatsoever.

There are many options out there, most for free, and they all offer an improved presentation experience over Windows Media. I personally use Serviio, which has a huge number or presentation options. For pictures, it lists Albums, Folders, Year, Month, Playlists, and Online as options. I really like playlists, which I use extensively for video. Serviio supports playlists in PLS and M3U format. And again, there are other server products available as well. 

Dan

0 Kudos