Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Username2
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Giveth / Roku Taketh Away

I'm not seeing that option at all. Not on my Streambar Pro, nor on my Roku TV. Running 12.5.5.

JamiS
Channel Surfer

Guess what? It's apparently been taken out of Version 12.5.5 - build 4174-46 which is what is currently running on my Roku Ultra 4660X. I changed my number of icons to 3/row when 12.5 came out and could change it back if I had wanted to. It's still at 3 now, but there's no way to change it. Again.

0 Kudos
JamiS
Channel Surfer

The title of this string says it all. Apparently in Version 12.5, you could do it (I did). But I just checked and it's now been updated to 12.5.5 and it's gone again.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

The test features like 3-column or 4-column are NOT related to a firmware release. They are controlled by settings Roku can show or hide, often controlled by middleware updates that are dynamically updated as needed. If you ever run a manual update, and see references to "warp drive" and similar, that is these packages being downloaded.

0 Kudos
rfmuth
Channel Surfer

@andyross wrote:

The test features like 3-column or 4-column are NOT related to a firmware release. They are controlled by settings Roku can show or hide, often controlled by middleware updates that are dynamically updated as needed. If you ever run a manual update, and see references to "warp drive" and similar, that is these packages being downloaded.

Unfortunately, these so-called "middleware" updates, or the one for the 3 vs 4 tiles across at least, seem quite randomly provided.  I had the 4 tiles added automatically for a week or so last Fall, when it was also removed automatically.  Despite nearly daily manual updates, looking for the feature to be restored, I never received the option again.  I have gone through version 12.5 to 12.5.5, on three different Roku devices, and have seen plenty of these "warp drive," "adjusting shields," and other non-specific updates, but none of them have added the option for changing the tile size. 

It's a shame since I really liked that 4 across layout much better.

thearches
Channel Surfer

Yep.  It was a welcome improvement.  And letting people toggle it on or off according to their preference seems like a perfect solution.  How hard would that be?

ThisishT
Streaming Star

I experienced the same situation in regard to the 3X3 or 4X4 app tile grid size choice option. I as well really did like having the 4X4 app tile grid size. How difficult can it be to permanently include this choice of option setting and then let the device user select their own app tile grid size of choice. Yes, it really is shameful that Roku automatically added and then automatically removed the 3X3 or 4X4 app tile grid size option setting.