Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darren-TV
Reel Rookie

Roku Express will not restart or exit Recovery mode

Hoping for further suggestions or support

I switched on the TV and found that my Roku Express was stuck in Recovery Mode showing the message "Do not reboot or power off. Restarting". I left it like this for over and hour and nothing changed. Eventually I did power cycle it and when it eventually booted (which took seemingly forever) it proceeded to perform an update, this appeared to complete okay before returning to the same message "Do not reboot or power off. Restarting" message. I also removed power from the device overnight and switched it back on the next day, same result. After some internet searching I also tried several factory resets, first time just doing an "update" then "update and factory reset". Every outcome is the same, it always ends up with the above message. I'm now out of ideas and would appreciate any new suggestions...??

Thanks.

Version: 51C.50R06040A
Roku: 3900EU

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Express will not restart or exit Recovery mode

Hi @Darren-TV,

Welcome to your first post on the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about your issue with being stuck in recovery mode. We would be more than happy to look into this and assist you. Could you please send us an image with the error code and your screen? 

In the meantime, have you tried to factory reset your Roku device using the physical button and re-do the whole activation process to see if you're still experiencing the issue? If not, kindly refer to this support article for more detailed instructions to factory reset your device: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Darren-TV
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express will not restart or exit Recovery mode

Hello Kash

Thanks for your reply. There is no error code, every action that I perform, be it factory reset, power cycle etc all go through until it finally gets to the message: "Do not reboot or power off. Restarting". It never progresses beyond this point.  See the following: screen-shot 

I don't know whether internally it has crashed or simply hung. Unless there is a way to access some debug console I don't know what else can be done to progress beyond this point.

Thanks

Darren

0 Kudos