Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Express keeps resetting itself and deactivates

I have a roku express for my living room & within the past 6 weeks if I don’t use it for more than 12 hours it will completely restart itself and I have to go through the activation setup each time. 

I got to the point of buying a new Roku Express that I set up last week and it is doing the same thing. 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
sylvankoo

Re: Roku Express keeps resetting itself and deactivates

Did you find a solution to this problem?  Seems that I am having the same issue.

0 Kudos
djfreder

When I press the reset button it begins restarting then shuts off.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@djfreder wrote:

When I press the reset button it begins restarting then shuts off.  Any ideas?

I have a question. Why are you pressing the reset button? That's not something one would normally be expected to do, so what's going on to make you think you want to press that button? You've not listed any problem you're having, so what's going on?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
djfreder

when I turn it on the blue light comes on the ROKU letters bounce around on the screen then the blue light starts blinking then it shuts off.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@djfreder  You don’t turn on a Roku. It’s always on. Are you actually unplugging it and plugging it back in? Do you have it plugged straight into the wall using the AC power adapter? Which Roku model do you have?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@djfreder 

In general, Roku devices aren't designed to be turned off. You may be talking about it going to sleep after inactivity, in which case you would generally wake it via the Home button. The Roku Express stock remote doesn't have a power button, although the current model supports the Voice Remote.

Some people plug their Express into the USB port on a TV, which means it could actually be powered down since the USB port is often switched; it loses power when the TV is off, and a Roku device powered that way will lose power as well. In that case, restoring power will cause the Roku to boot up, which is the screen you're describing. You generally don't want that situation, but many do it without issue.

So, there are two things going on:

1. Reboot screen (bouncing letters)
  2. Device not completing bootup

If you are powering via the included power supply, you should not be experiencing the bootup. USB power will give you that, so if you're powering that way, that's not a symptom of an issue.

Let's get a little more information about your setup before we go down the road of a factory reset. What is your Roku model number?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."